This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4752 / 51°28'30"N
Longitude: -2.4498 / 2°26'59"W
OS Eastings: 368854
OS Northings: 175232
OS Grid: ST688752
Mapcode National: GBR JX.LBGT
Mapcode Global: VH88Q.H57Y
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Anne
Listing Date: 11 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1278090
English Heritage Legacy ID: 406658
Location: Siston, South Gloucestershire, BS16
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Siston
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Syston
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
5118 SISTON SISTON VILLAGE
Parish Church of
ST 67 NE 2/61 11.5.53
Mid C12 rebuilding with C13 and later additions, some C19 and C20 restorations.
Three bay nave, now aisleless, 2 bay chancel, south porch, west tower and south
chapel (latter dated 1790). Built of rubble with stone tile roof, circular
plan chimney adjacent to south porch. The 3 stage tower has lost its C17 pinnacles
and is unbuttressed except for 2 new weathered buttresses framing and C19 perpendicular
style west window. Single 2-light bell-chamber windows with mitred arches.
Trefoil headed lancets to chancel, 3 stepped lancets with foil heads to east.
Nave windows restored in Decorated and Perpendicular style. Gabled south porch
with pointed arch and sundial at apex of gable. Good 1130s or earlier Norman
south doorway with chevron outer orders, nook shafts with scallop caps, tympanum
carved with a Tree of Life, cable moulding; saltire crosses on chamfered jambs
and abaci of caps. Plank door with plain straps. Outer porch door C17 with
wrought iron straps hinges and ovolo moulded baluster rail set in upper part.
Norman north door (now a window) has now glazed tympanum and reused lintel
with saltire crosses and roll-mould. The chancel of circa 1300 has a blocked
priests door to south.
Interior: inner surround of south door has chamfered arch retaining some of
its saltire crosses and similar chip-carved ornament. Nave has C19 collar-beam
roof, the chancel a waggon roof probably of the C18. The painted chancel arch,
chancel roof and east wall together with glass, rails, pavement date from 1887
onwards. The most important feature is a lead font of circa 1160-70, one of
a group in south Gloucestershire, it is close in style to the one at Frampton-on-Severn:
arcaded with Christ and Evangelists and scroll work. C17 pulpit. A number
of wall monuments including a brass of 1680 in the chancel. In the nave the
monument to Fiennes Trotman (Died 1835) and Siston Court gives a hint of the
excellence of his craftsmen in revived Jacobean style.
Listing NGR: ST6885275232
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings