This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9949 / 51°59'41"N
Longitude: -2.1569 / 2°9'24"W
OS Eastings: 389326
OS Northings: 232954
OS Grid: SO893329
Mapcode National: GBR 1JK.TRW
Mapcode Global: VH93T.K4M0
Entry Name: 38, High Street
Listing Date: 4 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1280126
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376788
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8932 HIGH STREET
859-1/6/205 (West side)
House in row. Late C18 front on probably C16 main fabric.
Flemish bond brickwork, tile roof, brick stacks. Front range
of side-entry parallel plan. The front with high parapet
covers a steep-pitched roof parallel with the street, which
seems to be continuous with No.37 (qv) adjoining, and the
large ridge stack may be shared with that property. A
throughway is incorporated to the right, and there is evidence
for a formerly jettied first floor.
3 storeys and attic, 3-windowed. 4-pane sashes with brick
voussoirs and fluted keystone with cornice. The painted ground
floor has, left, a C19 pilaster shop front with a deep fascia,
and to the right a 6-panel fielded door in fluted Doric
pilaster doorcase with open moulded pediment over an arch. The
door is very broad, in panelled reveals, with modified Greek
key embellishments and a scalloped underside to the pediment.
In the stone-flagged throughway, to the right, is heavy
framing with very large braces. Approx 1m back from the street
front is a chamfered beam on a very large post, with a bracket
to the former jetty. There is a further chamfered stopped beam
about halfway through the passage. INTERIOR not inspected.
Listing NGR: SO8932632954
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings