This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5241 / 51°31'26"N
Longitude: -0.1081 / 0°6'29"W
OS Eastings: 531348
OS Northings: 182270
OS Grid: TQ313822
Mapcode National: GBR M7.WT
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.2YQJ
Entry Name: Former Notting Warehouse/Enterprise Printing Machine Works
Listing Date: 30 September 1994
Last Amended: 15 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1280976
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368581
Location: Islington, London, EC1R
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Clerkenwell
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3182SW BOWLING GREEN LANE
635-1/73/90 (South side)
Nos.16 and 16A
30.09.1994 former Notting Warehouse/Enterprise
Printing Machine Works
Former warehouse/factory for the Enterprise Printing Machine
Works. Dated 1877. By Edward Walker, builder, for William
Notting, typefounder and printing engineer. Buff stock brick
set in English bond with red brick decorative banding and
terracotta dressings; roof obscured by parapets. Narrow
double-fronted block with carriage-way to centre; buildings
behind (former stabling) have been essentially demolished and
rebuilt C20 (by Piers Gough for his architectural practice).
Four storeys with attic; 7-window range 1:1:1:2:1:1:1.
Symmetrical rugged brick facade divided into attractively
brick-detailed full-height piers and tiers of segmental
casement sashes with panels below; 3rd floor brick-pedimented
sashes with decorative terracotta tympana. Right end has later
extensions in the same style and materials but altered C20.
INTERIOR: timber floors and joists and a series of simple iron
pillars. Reconstructed staircase is off-centre. History:
William Notting (1831-1911) was a prominent member of the
London printing trade and had acquired the business of Henry
Watts. Notting was established for a long time in Type Street,
Finsbury and in 1872 his firm moved to premises off Ray
Street. In 1877 he purchased this land freehold and built this
warehouse/factory described as 'a five-storey warehouse with
stabling, a cart house and meeting house'.
(Historians File, English Heritage, London Division: 1990-).
Listing NGR: TQ3134882270
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings