History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Malthouse to Rear of Number 23

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.993 / 51°59'34"N

Longitude: -2.1556 / 2°9'19"W

OS Eastings: 389415

OS Northings: 232738

OS Grid: SO894327

Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.1VD

Mapcode Global: VH93T.L59H

Entry Name: Malthouse to Rear of Number 23

Listing Date: 4 March 1952

Last Amended: 25 April 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1281018

English Heritage Legacy ID: 376610

Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20

County: Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Tewkesbury

Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Tewkesbury

Listing Text


TEWKESBURY

SO8932 BARTON STREET
859-1/6/24 (North side)
04/03/52 Malthouse to rear of No.23
(Formerly Listed as:
BARTON STREET
(North side)
No.23)

GV II*

Workshop, former malthouse. C17. Square panel timber-framing,
brick nogging, tile roof.
Rectangular 4-bay building on 2 floors plus a malting floor in
the roof-space; one side is at the party boundary, and is
built up on the boundary wall. It is linked to the back of the
house with a wing which includes one deep beam at the street
end.
The outer gable is framed, with a brick-nogged gable
containing 2 small lights, over a full-width small-pane range
of windows and a pair of doors at first floor. A further door
below, in brickwork. The party wall is in panel framing on a
brick ground floor incorporating two small lights.
INTERIOR: the ground floor is in 3 bays on a brick floor. Very
heavy transverse beams, approx 375mm square, to run-out stops,
and 2 longitudinal beams. Ladder stair at street end to first
floor with 2 transverse beams as below, plus 2 diagonals in
each bay. Good early board floor. The roof, in 4 bays, has 2
tenoned purlins, flush rafters, propped principals, and
collar. The floor is in boards covered by a thick lime-plaster
screed; the owner recalls retaining boards for grain along
both sides, but these have disappeared.
This outbuilding has been retained in use as a workshop, and
is consequently little altered and an early and most
significant survival.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the grain trade, and the associated industry
of malting, remained a significant part of the town's industry
until the decline of river-borne traffic in the C19. Great
quantities of malt were exported to Wales.
(Victoria County History: Gloucestershire: London: 1968-:
144).


Listing NGR: SO8941532738

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.