History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

United Reformed Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Saffron Walden, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0223 / 52°1'20"N

Longitude: 0.2372 / 0°14'13"E

OS Eastings: 553598

OS Northings: 238349

OS Grid: TL535383

Mapcode National: GBR MC3.0T4

Mapcode Global: VHHL4.2F7K

Entry Name: United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 1 November 1972

Last Amended: 31 October 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1281265

English Heritage Legacy ID: 370365

Location: Saffron Walden, Uttlesford, Essex, CB10

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

Civil Parish: Saffron Walden

Built-Up Area: Saffron Walden

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Find accommodation in
Saffron Walden

Listing Text


SAFFRON WALDEN

TL5338 ABBEY LANE
669-1/1/8 (North side)
01/11/72 United Reformed Church
(Formerly Listed as:
ABBEY LANE
Congregational Church)

GV II

Congregational chapel. 1811, altered 1888. Red brick, random
burnt headers, stucco front lined for ashlar, slate roofs. 3x3
bays, single storey, hipped roofed vestry to E. W front: has
open modillion pediment with anthemion at apex, centre bay
recessed under moulded round arch, side bays with windows set
in segmental arched recesses. Tetrastyle Ionic porch with
modillion cornice. 9-panelled double doors flanked by similar
single doors, with pilasters, panelled reveals. Fine cast-iron
Adam-style fanlights; semi-elliptical to centre, round-headed
to sides. Round-arched window over porch with moulded
architrave, pilaster jambs with moulded string course at level
of capitals; margin glazing. Side bays have 2-light mullion
and transom windows with moulded architraves, round-headed
margin glazed lights. Side elevations: have modillioned eaves,
ground floor and gallery windows in round-arched recesses with
2-light mullion and transom windows detailed as before, under
segmental rubbed brick arches. E end wall: has rebuilt
parapet, two 2-light windows, arched recesses detailed as
before. Abutting vestry has dentilled eaves, margin glazed
sash window in arched recesses to E, similar window and
inserted door to N; porch with slate roof and spiral columns
to S.
INTERIOR: gallery with cast-iron quatrefoil columns, dentilled
cornice, solid panelled frontal. Arched recess to E wall with
rosette moulding, fluted pilasters with stylised anthemion
capitals. Vestry doors with pedimented doorcases. C18 mahogany
pulpit, remodelled and enlarged in late C19 with additional
barley-twist columns; stair with C18 handrail, later balusters
and newel. Dais rail, mid C19, fluted newels with acorn
finials. Dado panelling with dentilled cornice. Fine complete
set of late C19 pews with decorative carved ends, scrolled
armrests, brass numbers and umbrella racks. Vestry has dado
panelling and cast-iron Art Nouveau fireplace. The church
occupies the site of the original Meeting House of the
Independent Congregation founded 1665.


Listing NGR: TL5359838349

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.