History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wesley Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Liskeard, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4531 / 50°27'11"N

Longitude: -4.4646 / 4°27'52"W

OS Eastings: 225136

OS Northings: 64378

OS Grid: SX251643

Mapcode National: GBR NF.NYWC

Mapcode Global: FRA 17JV.QGG

Plus Code: 9C2QFG3P+65

Entry Name: Wesley Methodist Church

Listing Date: 15 November 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1281847

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382115

Location: Liskeard, Cornwall, PL14

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Liskeard

Built-Up Area: Liskeard

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Liskeard

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Liskeard

Description


LISKEARD

SX2564 BARN STREET
979-1/5/21 (East side)
Wesley Methodist Church

GV II

Nonconformist chapel. 1846, enlarged and restored 1887 and
1907. Slatestone rubble walls with stucco details; dry slate
hipped roof with gable as pediment to wing on the right.
Cruciform aisle-less plan with chancel at north (ritual east)
end. Italianate style. 2-storey elevations.
Regular 4:2-bay west front has 2 taller bays with pediment on
the right, with recessed pairs of round-headed lights with
turned shafts under corbelled heads. Gable over modillioned
cornice resembles pediment with central oculus framing
cinquefoil with crucifix and deep verge soffit on exposed
purlins. Doorway to left-hand return with 6-panel door under
similar head.
Other bays have stucco pilasters flanking the windows; a
moulded mid-floor frieze broken forward at the pilasters and a
moulded eaves entablature similarly broken forward and with
modillions. Ground floor has channelled rustications to the
stucco and cross windows under segmental heads with keyblocks.
First floor has similar rustication to jambs and round-headed
2-light windows with round central panes over transoms and
moulded architraves with console keyblocks.
Left-hand return has large porch with central round-arched
doorway facing manse garden and wider principal round-headed
doorway to its right-hand return (facing road) with its arch
carried on slender columns with carved caps; traceried
tympanum over pair of 2-panel doors under segmental arch;
impost string with Doric frieze returns to other doorway also
with panelled door; both doorways with moulded arches and
console keys carried into entablature with consoles and
moulded cornice under parapet.
INTERIOR is largely a 1907 renovation and has a fine quality
moulded and carved panelled plaster ceiling. Gallery on 3
sides is carried on probably original slender Doric columns
and gallery front over with Doric frieze. Pitch pine pews of
1907 and elaborate rostrum of 1889 by John Ugalde donated by
Dr Andrew Hingston. The church makes an important contribution
to the streetscape.
(Church Guide).


Listing NGR: SX2513664374

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.