History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Demesnes Mill House and Mill Cottage and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnard Castle, County Durham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.5383 / 54°32'18"N

Longitude: -1.9194 / 1°55'10"W

OS Eastings: 405309

OS Northings: 515900

OS Grid: NZ053159

Mapcode National: GBR HH1Y.7X

Mapcode Global: WHB4L.H665

Plus Code: 9C6WG3QJ+86

Entry Name: Demesnes Mill House and Mill Cottage and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 22 February 1973

Last Amended: 28 November 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282739

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388702

Location: Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Barnard Castle

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Barnard Castle



770-1/2/71 (East side (off))
22/02/73 Demesnes Mill House and Mill Cottage
and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Demesne Mill House & Mill Cottage)


Shown on OS as Demesnes Mill Farm.
House and cottages with addition, and railings attached. Dated
1825 ED (?the Earl of Darlington) with addition at left dated
1923. For the Earl of Darlington and Lord Barnard. Rubble with
ashlar quoins and dressings; roof of graduated stone slates
with stone ridge and stone and yellow brick chimneys.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 1:3:1:2-window range. 3-bay house has
inscribed tooled stone surround to central flush door and
overlight with small glazing bars; flat stone lintels and
projecting stone sills to 16-pane sashes. Similar treatment to
sashes at left and boarded door with overlight at right of
cottage to right of house. House and cottage have end quoins.
Similar lintels and sills to left extension with boarded door
and small light at left, and to horizontal sliding sash at
right on ground floor, and 16-pane sash above; datestone
between floors has date: 1923 with crowned `B' for Lord
Barnard. Right-end offices, set back slightly, have boarded
doors at left and under second window, 2 horizontal-sliding
sashes between doors and 2 above them.
Dwarf stone wall encloses narrow space in front of house and
left extension and has gates and lengths of wrought-iron
railing formed by alternate hoops and spike-headed uprights,
with spear-headed principals. INTERIOR: not inspected.

Listing NGR: NZ0530915900

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.