This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9927 / 51°59'33"N
Longitude: -2.1548 / 2°9'17"W
OS Eastings: 389470
OS Northings: 232707
OS Grid: SO894327
Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.218
Mapcode Global: VH93T.L5QQ
Entry Name: 57, Barton Street
Listing Date: 4 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282784
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376635
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8932 BARTON STREET
859-1/6/49 (South side)
House in row, with shop and offices. Mid to late C16 front
range; C17 back wing and remanants of courtyard range
restructed in mid C19. Close-studded timber-framing, plaster
panels, Flemish bond brickwork, tile roof, brick stacks.
PLAN: a complex of buildings round a small courtyard: C16
2-bay right-angle plan range to front, set gable to the
street; extended to rear in C17, with a C17 brick ridge stack
between the 2 parts, and with a return block across the end of
a courtyard approached through a wide carriage arch in brick
frontage to the right of the early building.
EXTERIOR: the gabled C16 building has close-stud framing to
the front and large square panelling to the party walls, in 2
storeys with attic, 1-windowed. Small early 2-light casement
in the gable above a large C20 multi-pane bow at first floor.
The C19 pilaster shop front with consoles has a central glazed
door. The scalloped barge-board is of uncertain date. The left
return has 2 small single lights to the first floor. The rear
gable has a C17 brick stack.
To the right is a shallow building with high brick parapeted
front over a large 6-pane (originally 12-pane) sash and a wide
pair of plank doors under a segmental arch. In the courtyard,
left, a short flight of steps leads to a rear entry to the
offices. The buildings around the yard retain some C17 fabric,
but have been substantially restructured.
INTERIOR: first floor has a longitudinal central beam, exposed
framing to the walls, and two 2-panel C19 doors. Fireplace
C20. Winder stair, with straight bottom flight, with painted
C18 balustrade with moulded handrail and turned balusters to
square newel, probably brought from elsewhere. The upper room
at the back has exposed high collar with struts, but roof
timbers, except for the single rough purlin, are generally
Listing NGR: SO8947032706
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings