This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0036 / 52°0'12"N
Longitude: -2.1593 / 2°9'33"W
OS Eastings: 389158
OS Northings: 233918
OS Grid: SO891339
Mapcode National: GBR 1JK.6X9
Mapcode Global: VH93M.JW9X
Plus Code: 9C4V2R3R+C7
Entry Name: The Mythe
Listing Date: 27 July 1973
Last Amended: 25 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282809
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376560
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO83SE A38, The Mythe
859-1/2/382 (East side (off))
27/07/73 The Mythe
(Formerly Listed as:
Country house. Mid C18, early C19 facade, wing, and internal
alterations; a rainwater head at the back of the building has
the date 1812. Ashlar front, rendered returns, English bond
brickwork wing, slate roofs.
A large rectangular symmetrical block with central entry and
transverse stair hall. The building is set across the ground
slope, with 2-storey and basement front becoming 3-storey
back; long narrow wing added back left. The front is
3-windowed, 3:3:3-light stone-mullioned casements with a
transom, under stopped drips, and with 4-centred heads to the
lights. At ground floor are 2 canted bays with traceried
lights under hipped stone roofs with stepped weathering to a
brattished edge. The top parts of pointed arches to basement
lights are visible below the windows.
Centre is a Gothick door with side-lights in a stone porch
with pent stone roof between square buttresses to nodding ogee
heads, and set-back gabled pinnacles, all on 4 sandstone steps
with nosings, in balustrade walls. Plinth, weathered
mid-string, cornice and blocking with saddle-back coping. The
blocking is raised at the centre, and carries a shield of arms
surmounted by a stag's head (William Porter, who acquired the
house in 1825).
The right return is lined-out rendering, with a central
12-pane arched stair window flanked by 16-pane sashes at first
floor and 12-pane to ground floor. To the right, in the plinth
at basement level, a 2-light casement. Stone ovolo-mould
cornice, blocking and coped parapet. To the right, in a low
brick section, a heavily weather-worn 3-light stone mullioned
casement with louvres, imported from elsewhere.
The left return is in 2 sections, with a rendered wall in 2
storeys with cellar, 3-windowed; 12-pane sashes at first
floor, above a part-glazed door to 3-pane transom-light on a
flight of sandstone steps, and 3 sashes as above. At each
level the sash to the right is painted in to a blocked recess.
There is a plank door central to the basement. Cornice and
blocking as the far side.
To the left a 3-storey brick wing, brought forward from a
small brick link, and with quadrant corner. The link has a
12-pane sash above a plank door, and the wing has a 16-pane
sash to the second floor. The narrow end of the wing has
16-pane sashes at first and second floors. The return front of
the wing has three 12-pane sashes above a large glazed opening
to segmental head, and two 3-light casements to segmental
heads. Back of the main block has 16-pane sashes.
Roofs are all hipped slate behind parapets; that to main block
to central valley or flat. The front block has 3 ridge stacks,
and the wing a central ridge stack.
INTERIOR inspected at ground floor only. Hall with flanking
rooms has good flat plaster cornices, 6-panel mahogany doors
in pilaster surrounds with rosettes, and C19 plank floors.
Room to the left has a recessed elliptical-headed panel.
Doorcase in right room has lofty flat pediment. The
staircase,to the right through an elliptical arch, is an open
well, with stick balustrade and wreathed mahogany handrail.
The house is usually ascribed to 1812 on the evidence of the
downpipe date, but this must refer to the wing and the
remodelling; the exterior detail in the long sides seems more
likely to be c1740-1780.
(VCH: Gloucestershire: London: 1968-: 136).
Listing NGR: SO8915833918
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings