This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.002 / 52°0'7"N
Longitude: -2.1635 / 2°9'48"W
OS Eastings: 388873
OS Northings: 233737
OS Grid: SO888337
Mapcode National: GBR 1JJ.KTL
Mapcode Global: VH93M.GY35
Plus Code: 9C4V2R2P+QJ
Entry Name: Mythe Bridge
Listing Date: 4 March 1952
Last Amended: 25 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282810
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376564
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
(Formerly listed as: THE MYTHE THE MYTHE MYTHE BRIDGE)
The Mythe Bridge designed by Thomas Telford and dating to 1825.
EXTERIOR: The bridge is built of cast iron with stone abutments. It consists of a single segmental arch with a 52m span resting on a series of six ribs with small X-bracing carrying the diagonal crossed bracing to the spandrels beneath the beam to the road way and balustrade. At each abutment is a series of six tunnel vaults with pointed arches, stone quoins and separated by attached colonnettes.
HISTORY: The Mythe Bridge was built in 1823-6 by Thomas Telford with the main iron casting by William Hazeldine, the celebrated Shrewsbury ironmaster. The bridge is illustrated on the first edition (1884) Ordnance Survey map with a toll house at both the east and west end. The form of the bridge remains constant throughout the historic maps although it is known that the decking was strengthened with a reinforced concrete slab in 1923.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The Mythe Bridge built 1823-6 by Thomas Telford is listed at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:
* Technological interest: As a bridge of iron construction with a 52m span designed in the early 1820s, part of the first generation of this technologically significant type
* Engineering interest: As a significant bridge built by Thomas Telford.
The asset was previously listed twice also under the parish of Bushley as List entry 1238445. This entry was removed from the List on 03/07/2018.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings