History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barns and Cow House to South of Farmyard at Elliscale Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Dalton Town with Newton, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1622 / 54°9'43"N

Longitude: -3.1875 / 3°11'15"W

OS Eastings: 322557

OS Northings: 474694

OS Grid: SD225746

Mapcode National: GBR 6N59.PQ

Mapcode Global: WH72B.0ND1

Entry Name: Barns and Cow House to South of Farmyard at Elliscale Farm

Listing Date: 6 May 1976

Last Amended: 20 December 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283011

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388396

Location: Dalton Town with Newton, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA15

County: Cumbria

District: Barrow-in-Furness

Civil Parish: Dalton Town with Newton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dalton-in-Furness St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Dalton in Furness

Listing Text


BARROW IN FURNESS

SD2274 ASKAM ROAD, Dalton In Furness
708-1/10/152 (East side)
06/05/76 Barns and cow house to south of
farmyard at Elliscale Farm
(Formerly Listed as:
ASKAM ROAD, Dalton
Barns, shippons & farm buildings in
large block to S of Elliscale
Farmhouse)

GV II

Barns and cow house. Late C18-early C19. Rubble limestone with
large quoins, graduated slate roofs. L-shaped range comprises:
tall, 1-storey 4-bay barn across east end; attached to west
side a 5-bay bank barn having cow house under then a 3rd barn
of approx 3 bays having half basement. Easternmost barn:
waggon entrance facing west has boarded doors, wooden lintel
and slated canopy on brackets; blocked window to left;
external stone steps to right with iron handrail. Bank barn: 3
cast-iron columns to pentice now covered by corrugated-iron
sheet; 5 boarded doors and 4 casements beneath. Altered window
to 1st floor left, 2 rows of vents. Right gable has copings
and weathervane. 3rd barn, set forward to right, has 3
casements to lower floor and 1 above; various vent holes;
shaped kneelers and gable copings on right. Right return has
waggon entrance with boarded doors and wooden lintel; canopy
removed. Similar waggon entrance to west gable of bank barn.
INTERIORS: easternmost barn: arched winnowing door to rear; 3
principal rafter trusses, double purlins. Bank barn: cow house
layout of 2 manure passages and 3 feeding passages; 4
principal-rafter trusses (2 altered). Later cow house to rear
of easternmost barn not of special interest.


Listing NGR: SD2255774694

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.