This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.015 / 53°0'54"N
Longitude: -1.9026 / 1°54'9"W
OS Eastings: 406632
OS Northings: 346415
OS Grid: SK066464
Mapcode National: GBR 374.ZSC
Mapcode Global: WHBCY.RG6Z
Plus Code: 9C5W238W+2X
Entry Name: Church of St John Baptist
Listing Date: 17 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287015
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275075
Location: Cotton, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST10
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Cotton
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Oakamoor Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
COTTON C.P. COTTON
SK 04 NE
Church of St. John Baptist
Parish Church. 1795 for Thomas Gilbert of Cotton Hall (q.v.).
Red brick on ashlar plinth with some ashlar dressings; slate roof.
Cruciform plan with canted transeptal chapels to east end of the
nave, 2-bay nave, single-bay chancel. West front: pointed
windows to left and right; central crenellated porch, 2 leaf pointed
door with Gothic panels; blind pointed arch recess above the porch
containing a circular oculus with radiating glazing bars; inscription
stone above : " LET Future Ages view this SACRED PLACE / And Praise
the ALMIGHTY Whose directing GRACE / With HEAVENLY Zeal inspired the
FOUNDERS Mind / to Erect a CHAPEL to reform Mankind"; small gabled
bellcote corbelled over the inscription stone; crenellated parapet
to gable with apex and eaves finials; North and south fronts: large
pointed windows with Gothic glazing bars; scotia moulded eaves band.
East front: Tall blind pointed arch recess containing a circular
oculus, central pointed doorway below leading to a cellar or crypt;
pointed windows to left and right; crenellated parapet to gable with
apex and eaves finials. Interior: West gallery of oak with
carved panels and frieze decorated with carved foliage, the centre of
the gallery projects and there are panelled pilasters below framing
the west doorway; plaster rib vault, the ribs spring from engaged
columns which frame the 4-centred arches to the transeptal chapels;
wooden screen to north chapel in a Gothic style, 6 bay arcade,
cusped ogee arches, central opening of 2 bays width with foliated
frieze and crest, the screen has a brattished top; painted classical
rood screen, 5 bays, round headed arches springing from moulded
brackets, wide central opening, the lower part of the other bays is
panelled; wainscotting to chancel, possibly reused box pews.
Fittings: stone font of 1871, octagonal with a square panel to each
face of the basin containing carved fleurons; pine benches with
simple poppyheads; wooden octagonal pulpit with traceried openwork
sides; wooden reredos of 3 bays, the central bay with a Caernarvon
arch. Monuments: wall plaques to Thomas Gilbert of Cotton Hall
(q.v.) died 1798 and to Thomas Gilbert his son died 1843. Stained
glass: good north and south chancel windows and north-east nave
window. B.O.E. P. 109.
Listing NGR: SK0663246415
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings