This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1811 / 52°10'52"N
Longitude: 1.6166 / 1°36'59"E
OS Eastings: 647344
OS Northings: 259822
OS Grid: TM473598
Mapcode National: GBR YZN.7JM
Mapcode Global: VHM7X.ZF0S
Plus Code: 9F435JJ8+FM
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 January 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287214
English Heritage Legacy ID: 402843
Location: Aldringham cum Thorpe, East Suffolk, Suffolk, IP16
Civil Parish: Aldringham cum Thorpe
Built-Up Area: Thorpeness
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Aldringham with Thorpe St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
The following building shall be added to the list:-
TM45NE ALDRINGHAM CHURCH ROAD
CUM THORPE Thorpeness
7/10004 Church of St Mary
Non-denominational church. 1937 by William Gilmour Wilson as part of the Thorpeness village development for Colonel Sholto Ogilvie. Rendered concrete and brick with stone dressings. Plain tiled roof. Nave, sanctuary and transeptal chapels. Neo-Norman style. West end with flush setback buttresses framing west doorway: round arch of 3 orders. Round-headed metal casement above. Projecting north and south chapels at west end, each lit through a 2-light leaded casement.
External wall arches to north and south nave, with pilaster strips rising to plain parapet and separating metal clerestory windows. Gabled nave roof. Gabled transept chapels of 3 storeys to south, 2 storeys to north side, each with clasping corner pilaster buttresses and mullioned leaded windows. Crossing tower supported by side buttresses: square on plan reducing in size into belfry
stage. One horizontal louvred belfry window to each face. Parapet and pyramid roof. Tall unbuttressed sanctuary lit through an arched metal window towards east. INTERIOR. 3 wall arches to each side of nave plus a small arch at the east and west ends of both sides. String course above with corbels carrying wall arches of 3-bay king-post roof. Ceiling boarded and plastered in shallow barrel vault. West gallery has simple panelled front balustrade. Stilted arch in south-west corner of nave leads to baptistry and a plain octagonal font, each bowl panel of which has a recessed arch. Round arches to crossing, lower into north transept chapel. Plain altar rails and sanctuary stalls. One of the principal buildings in this resort village.
Historical Note: The owner of Thorpeness Estate, Glencairn Stuart Ogilvie, himself conceiving the project, designed and sketched out the whole village and commissioned the architects involved
Listing NGR: TM4734459822
Other nearby listed buildings