This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0247 / 52°1'28"N
Longitude: -1.86 / 1°51'35"W
OS Eastings: 409705
OS Northings: 236259
OS Grid: SP097362
Mapcode National: GBR 3MD.4KQ
Mapcode Global: VHB17.QC2R
Plus Code: 9C4W24FR+V2
Entry Name: Church of St Eadburgha
Listing Date: 30 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287966
English Heritage Legacy ID: 400976
Location: Broadway, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR12
Civil Parish: Broadway
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Broadway
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
Tagged with: Church building
SP 03 NE; 4/134
Church of St Eadburgha
Church. Circa 1400, with remains of late C12 and later. Restored 1866.
Limestone ashlar and rubble with stone slate roof. Comprises a nave,
north and south aisles, north and south transepts, crossing tower and
The west window, of c1400 but repaired, is of four trefoiled
ogee lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. The aisles
have embattled parapets and each has two windows and a central doorway.
The western window of the south aisle is of two cinquefoiled ogee lights
under a flat head. The eastern window is of two flat-headed lights under
a flat head. The doorway is moulded and pointed. The stonework shows
traces of blocked openings. The windows of the north aisle are of three
cinquefoiled ogee lights under flat heads. The eastern window is a C19
restoration. The doorway is moulded and pointed. The north transept,
partly rebuilt in the C19, has a window of two trefoiled ogee lights under
a pointed head with flowing tracery. The east wall of the transept has a
blocked opening with flat head and a doorway in the angle with the chancel
leads to the stair turret of the tower. The south wall of the south transept
contains a window of c1300, of three chamfered trefoiled ogee lights. The
east window is of c1600 and has three elliptical lights under a flat head.
The crossing tower has an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. The
bell openings are of two trefoiled ogee lights under flat heads with hoods.
In the north wall of the chancel there is a window of two cinquefoiled ogee
lights under a flat head. To its right is a blocked doorway with round head,
probably C12. To its left is a chamfered doorway of c1600 with elliptical
head. The south wall of the chancel has two windows of c1400 with flat heads
and tracery. The western one is of three lights and the eastern one of two
lights. Between them are the remains of two C13 single-light windows. The
east window is of four cinquefoiled lights with Perpendicular tracery under
a pointed head.
INTERIOR: five-bay nave arcades have round piers and responds
and slightly pointed arches. The western arches are of two square orders and
the eastern one on the south side is similar. The others are chamfered in
two orders. All have scalloped capitals except for the western responds and
the eastern pier on the north side which have moulded capitals. The nave
roof has arch-braced rafters and two plain tie beams. The arches of the
crossing tower are pointed and chamfered in two orders. The western wall of
the tower of c1400, slightly overlaps the first bay of the nave arcade.
On the east side of each transept arch is a C12 respond remaining from the
former east bay of the nave arcade, now occupied by the tower. Each has a
capital added in C15. The chancel contains a moulded trefoiled piscina. In
the south transept is another trefoiled piscina. Wall monuments include one
in the chancel to Walter Savage, died 1640, with strapwork, Corinthian columns,
angels heads, and a shield of arms. Against the east wall of the south transept
is a monument of marble and slate to William Taylor, died 1745, by S Chandler.
It has composite columns and a segmental pediment. The turned communion rails
are of c1700. Attached to the north wall of the chancel is a wooden panel with
carved tracery and eight ogee arches containing figures. The choir benches,
transept screens and pulpit incorporate some medieval woodwork including blind
tracery carving. Close to the pulpit is a turned oak alms box of c1700. The
font has a tapering bowl. Close to the north doorway is the hexagonal stem
of another font, with slender engaged shafts.
Listing NGR: SP0970536258
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings