This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.2648 / 54°15'53"N
Longitude: -0.8556 / 0°51'20"W
OS Eastings: 474638
OS Northings: 486062
OS Grid: SE746860
Mapcode National: GBR QMG3.KY
Mapcode Global: WHF9V.T2SC
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 10 November 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1288816
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382496
Location: Sinnington, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO62
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Sinnington
Built-Up Area: Sinnington
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SINNINGTON CHURCH LANE
SE 78 NW
8/78 Church of All Saints
Church. C12 nave and chancel, restored; some C17 windows; vestry and
bellcote of 1904, and chancel arch rebuilt. Restoration, rebuilding and
additions by C Hodgson Fowler. Rubble sandy limestone incorporating
numerous fragments of earlier carved stone; stone flag roofs to chancel and
vestry; nave roof of slate to north and tile to south; porch roof tiled;
bellcote of timber and shingles. West bellcote; nave and south porch;
chancel and vestry. West end: offset angle buttress to north. Blocked
round-arched doorway with roll-moulded arch on attached shafts with
scalloped capitals, much weathered. Square-headed 2-light mullioned window
inserted over door, and above this an original round-headed light. Square-
section bellcote with louvred openings surmounted by a sprocketed spirelet
and weather-vane. Nave: gabled south porch with round-arched opening.
Round-arched south doorway of 2 orders, the outer roll-moulded. The shafts
have gone but capitals with traces of waterleaf survive. Over the door is a
decaying relief possibly of Samson and the Lion. East of the porch,
2 square-headed, 2-light inserted mullioned windows flank an original round-
headed light. Offset angle buttress to west. On the north side, a blocked
round-arched chamfered doorway is partly obscured by a later outbuilding
towards the west end. Chancel: blocked priests' door on south side to west
of inserted square-headed window. North side largely obscured by the vestry
but a 2-light mullioned window is visible to the west. East end: offset
clasping buttress to south; buttress to north incorporated into vestry. C20
pointed west window of 3 trefoil-headed lights with panel tracery over.
Coped gables to porch and to west end. Interior: portions of 3 original
openings have been exposed: the arch of the blocked west door, the jamb and
a section of the arch to the north door, and a round window head in the nave
south wall. Semicircular chancel arch of 2 plain orders retains an original
shaft with scalloped capital as the north respond. Piscina to east of south
door and second piscina with fluted bowl in sanctuary south wall. C17 pews
of raised and fielded panelling with carved ends and acorn knobs. c17
turned altar rails. C17 hatchment over south door. N Pevsner, The
Buildings of England: Yorkshire, The North Riding, 1966; pp 341, 342.
Listing NGR: SE7463886062
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings