History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Catherine

A Grade II Listed Building in Birkenhead, Wirral

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3798 / 53°22'47"N

Longitude: -3.0256 / 3°1'32"W

OS Eastings: 331872

OS Northings: 387487

OS Grid: SJ318874

Mapcode National: GBR 7Y9C.R4

Mapcode Global: WH87D.H9GS

Entry Name: Church of St Catherine

Listing Date: 28 March 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1292231

English Heritage Legacy ID: 389156

Location: Wirral, CH42

County: Wirral

Electoral Ward/Division: Birkenhead and Tranmere

Built-Up Area: Birkenhead

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Tranmere St Catherine

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Rock Ferry

Listing Text


BIRKENHEAD

SJ28NE CHURCH ROAD, Tranmere
789-1/3/278 (West side)
28/03/74 Church of St Catherine

GV II

Parish church. 1831, enlarged and altered 1875-6 by J.Francis
Doyle, and tower and spire added 1879. Original build of
brick, extended in rock face red sandstone, with Welsh slate
roof. Original nave of 5 bays, with 4 windows and doors in
western bay to north and south. One northern window now cut by
inserted doorway. 2-light Decorated windows. 3-light Decorated
west window in projecting square bay with quatrefoil over.
Transepts and chancel form later additions, but with similarly
styled fenestration. North-east tower and spire: 2-stage tower
with high first stage with clasping buttresses and chamfered
and moulded arched door to north. Foiled blind lancet over,
then bell-chamber light with louvres. Stair turret in angle
with chancel. Corbel table, embattled parapet and brooch spire
with lucarnes. 5-light Decorated east window. Interior:
aisleless nave of four-and-a-half bays with shallow hammerbeam
roof of 1875-6. Western bay partially blocked by inserted
hall. Moulded stone arches to transepts carried on short
shafts. Scissor braced roofs, mostly renewed. Shafts with
stiff-leaf capitals to chancel arch, and angel-head stops to
hood mould. Integral stone pulpit, and contemporary octagonal
font, both with marble shafts and stiff-leaf. Wrought-iron
communion rails. Stained glass: simple fruits and flowers in
transept windows, undated. Lamb of God and saints in east
window, 1869.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Hubbard E: Cheshire:
Harmondsworth: 1971-).


Listing NGR: SJ3187287487

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.