This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4545 / 51°27'16"N
Longitude: -2.5639 / 2°33'50"W
OS Eastings: 360914
OS Northings: 172981
OS Grid: ST609729
Mapcode National: GBR CHK.0G
Mapcode Global: VH88N.HPXW
Entry Name: Church of St Luke and Attached Side Railings
Listing Date: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1292262
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380239
Location: Bristol, BS5
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Lawrence Hill
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Barton Hill St Luke with Christ Church and St Matthew, Moorrfields
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST6072 QUEEN ANN ROAD, Barton Hill
901-1/43/360 (East side)
Church of St Luke and attached side
Church. 1842-50. By ST Welch. Altered 1930 by AV Gough.
Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, double Roman roof.
Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: nave, C20 apse, and W tower.
EXTERIOR: lower, octagonal apse has 3 traceried windows with 2
flanking trefoil windows, and angle buttresses with crocketed
pinnacles. 5 bay N elevation divided by buttresses with an
ashlar parapet, Y-tracery windows, and a central raised gable
with a 2-centred arched doorway and foliate spandrels, beneath
a Y-tracery window with a crocketed ogee hoodmould. S side has
no central gable. W end has a projecting square 3-stage tower,
with a 2-centred arched doorway, enclosed by a mid C20 annex,
and a 4-light window above with intersecting tracery, in an
arched recess; cornice below a broach tower, and mouldings
below an octagonal ashlar belfry with louvred lancets and
leaded roof, originally a small spire; Y-tracery windows
INTERIOR: bracketed, arch-braced apse roof and 2-centre
chancel arch; 8-bay nave with bracketed tie beams on moulded
corbels with pointed arches above bracing the flat roof; rear
gallery on thin cluster columns has a balustrade with
ogee-headed panels; openwork tracery panels to rear and to 2nd
stage of tower; octagonal pulpit has marble columns with
foliate capitals and sunken traceried panels.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: cast-iron spear-headed railings between
the side buttresses.
An early Commissioner's Church, with a late Georgian style
aisleless body and in pre-archaeological Gothic style, with a
Listing NGR: ST6091472981
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings