This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7418 / 53°44'30"N
Longitude: -0.3342 / 0°20'3"W
OS Eastings: 509963
OS Northings: 428554
OS Grid: TA099285
Mapcode National: GBR GPQ.12
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.V61T
Plus Code: 9C5XPMR8+P8
Entry Name: Parish Church of the Holy Trinity and Churchyard Wall
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Last Amended: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1292280
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387644
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1
County: Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Myton
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull Most Holy and Undivided Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA0928NE KING STREET
680-1/22/226 (East side)
13/10/52 Parish Church of the Holy Trinity
and churchyard wall
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of the Holy Trinity)
Parish church and attached churchyard wall. Mainly 1300-1425.
Transepts 1300-1320, chancel 1320-1360, nave 1389-1418, tower
c1500. Vestries to south-east 1873 and c1930. Restored 1841-45
by HF Lockwood and 1859-72 by George Gilbert Scott.
Brick and ashlar, with ashlar dressings and lead roofs.
Plinth, sill band, string courses, buttresses topped with
crocketed pinnacles, traceried and crenellated parapets.
Nave and chancel, both with aisles, transepts, crossing tower,
south porch, south chapel, vestries.
Buttressed east end has a crested parapet with quatrefoils to
the chancel, and a central niche topped with a pinnacle.
Central larger 7-light window flanked by single 5-light
windows, all with elaborate flowing tracery and hoodmoulds.
Clerestorey has 10 lancets. North and south chancel aisles
have five 4-light windows with simpler flowing tracery.
Single-storey vestries adjoining south chancel aisle have
plinth, string course and traceried crenellated parapet.
Windows are Perpendicular lancets with flat heads and label
moulds. To left, 2 triple lancets flanked by similar double
lancets, that to far left without label mould. To right, a
pointed-arched door and to right again, 2 triple lancets. East
end has a similar window.
Single-storey Broadley Chapel, to left, restored C18, has
central gabled buttress and angle buttress to right, both
topped with pinnacles. 2 traceried Perpendicular triple
lancets with Tudor arched heads and ogee hoodmoulds with
Brick transepts have 6-light lancets with pointed
quatrefoils and spherical triangles. Above, a quatrefoil
window. To east and west, simpler triple lancets, those to the
south transept truncated. Restored north doorway with moulded
head and triple filleted shafts. South gable has a buttressed,
gabled porch with stone slate roof and blocked doorway. On
either side, single C20 three-light windows.
Nave west end has a 9-light lancet with panel tracery and
hoodmould. Above it, traceried parapet with central figure
niche topped with a pinnacle. Below, a doorway with moulded
cusped arch and ogee hoodmould with finial. On either side, 3
cusped canopied figure niches. Clerestorey has 16 triple
Aisle west ends have 7-light lancets. On either side, 8
similar 5-light lancets. All the windows have hoodmoulds.
Crossing tower, 2 stages, has gabled angle buttresses on the
lower stage and clasping buttresses above, topped with
pinnacles. Openwork parapet with 4 intermediate pinnacles.
Lower stage has on each side 2 triple lancets with depressed
segmental heads and hoodmoulds. Bell stage has 2 pointed
triple lancet bell openings on each side with ogee hoodmoulds
and pinnacles. All the transoms are crenellated. On each side,
a skeleton clock dial.
South-west porch has plinth, string course and crenellated
parapet. Moulded doorway with hoodmould. On the east side, a
segment-headed recess containing a blocked double opening.
Interior has low pitched roof with moulded ridge and rafters,
and restored moulded doorway with hoodmould and angel stops.
Traceried panelled double doors. 3 memorial tablets, late C17
and late C18. To right, under the fifth aisle window, a
segment-headed double doorway, now glazed, to the former
Alcock Chantry, late C15. To right, single-storey parapeted
vestry, 1932, with 3 flat-headed triple lancets. To its left,
a lower boiler house in a similar style, with 2 double
INTERIOR: Choir has 5-bay arcades with piers with 4 round
shafts separated by 4 hollows, foliate capitals and moulded
arches with hoodmoulds. Ambulatory in eastern bay has memorial
window, c1920, by Clayton & Bell. Below it, a wooden war
memorial, c1920, in the form of a reredos with canopied
central niche. East end has stone reredos, 1886, in C15 style,
with crested canopy to central triple niche, and flanking
stone screens, with similar screens in the east bays of the
arcade. Western bays have traceried wooden screens, with
doorways in the centre bay. Clerestorey has 10 windows with
hoodmoulds and sill band. Restored low pitched roof with
painted panels and bosses.
Choir aisles have similar unpainted roofs. South aisle has
stained-glass east window, c1920, and south side windows 1951,
1918 and 1880. Under the east window, a panelled wooden war
memorial. South side has to east, a window opening with
piscina below, from the former Eland Chantry, 1542. To west,
two C19 doors with Tudor and pointed arches. To west again,
cusped ogee headed tomb recess with traceried crest and
pinnacles, and 2 life-size alabaster effigies to Sir William
De La Pole, 1366, and Lady Katharine, 1381. Beyond, a canopied
tomb recess opening into the Broadley Chapel, with cusped
opening, buttress shafts and crockets. North aisle has
stained-glass east window c1860.
Crossing has clustered piers with filleted round shafts with
hollows between them, and moulded arches with hoodmoulds.
Elaborate painted lierne vault. East arch has Perpendicular
style wooden screen, 1900, and the north-east pier has an ogee
headed rood loft door with finial. South arch has the C15
chancel screen, now glazed, restored 1846 and resited 1900.
Above it, a C20 organ case. North arch has a 3-tower organ
case, c1876, resited 1908, with a Tudor arch to the passage
Transepts have to east and west moulded arches with hoodmoulds
and quatrefoil piers with filleted shafts. All except the
north-eastern arch have been heightened. Eastern arches have
traceried C15 screens. Low pitched arch-braced roofs, C19.
South transept has central doorway flanked by single C20
stained-glass windows, and main south window with stained
glass, 1892. West side has a C19 chamfered doorway. East side
has a doorway flanked by single leaded windows, all with ogee
heads, to the Broadley Chapel. Above, stained-glass window,
1907. North transept has a draught screen to the north door.
West side has a stained-glass window, 1924. East side has 2
cusped recesses, probably piscinas, and a lattice panelled
door with depressed ogee head.
Broadley Chapel (formerly De La Pole Chapel), restored mid
C20, has low pitched roof with fleurons. East end has a
3-light memorial window, c1920, flanked to left by a canopied
vaulted niche with a figure. South side has to east a cusped
and crocketed piscina and 2 memorial windows c1920. North side
has canopied and buttressed tomb recess opening into south
Nave has 8 bay arcades with slender piers with 4 round shafts
with hollows between them. Small foliate capitals and moulded
arches with hoodmoulds and angel tops. Clerestorey has 16
triple lancets with bar tracery, hoodmoulds and sill band.
Restored low pitched roof with cambered tie beams, bosses and
painted panels. West end has C19 stained-glass window with
crenellated sill band, and segmental arched inner porch with
draught screen topped by the Royal arms.
Aisles have similar roofs to nave, with unpainted panels.
South aisle has near-central doorway to south porch and above
it, stained-glass window, 1952, by HJ Stammers. To its left, a
4-centred arched opening to the former Alcock Chantry. To left
again, 2 stained-glass windows, 1897 and c1907, by Walter
FITTINGS include C14 octagonal font with concave sided
crocketed gables and figure carving, and buttressed minor
shafts. Marble topped carved communion table and relief carved
wooden reredos, c1770. Octagonal stone pulpit with gabled
niches in Decorated style, and curved stone stair and
balustrade, 1846, by HF Lockwood. Huge brass eagle lectern
with richly decorated platform and steps, 1847, by George
Parker. Late C19 choir stalls incorporate C14 and C15 bench
ends, some of them carved. Large oil painting, 1811, by James
Parmentier, reduced in size.
MEMORIALS include resited effigy, c1380, to Eleanor Box, and
brass with half-length figures, 1451, to Richard and Margaret
Byll. Bust in pedimented surround with columns, 1624, to
Thomas Whincop. Tablet with inscribed drapery, 1718, to Mark
Kirby. Tablet with cartouche and seated female figure, 1772,
to Nathaniel Maister. Marble and ashlar tablet, 1812, by John
Earle to Henry Maister. Bust on pedestal, 1837, to William
Woolley, and tablet to John Parker, 1841, both by WD Keyworth
Snr. Marble and slate tablet showing the church organ, 1838,
to George Lambert, organist. Freestanding monument with bust
and an angel assisting a man, to Thomas Ferres, 1859; tablet,
1860 to John Appleyard; arch topped monument with angel and 2
children, 1860, to J W Grey; urn flanked by 2 mourning women,
1876, to Thomas Earle; all by Thomas Earle of Hull.
Outside, boundary wall on north, south and west sides. C19.
Ashlar with moulded plinth, coping and rounded corners. To
west, a pair of octagonal ashlar gatepiers with cross-gabled
caps and a pair of late C20 metal gates. On the south side, a
similar gateway. To east a single gateway on the north and
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire; York and the East
Riding: London: 1972-: 268-271; Gunniss R: Dictionary of
British Sculptors: London: 1970-: 137 & 227).
Listing NGR: TA0996328554
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings