History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Low Level Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Wolverhampton, Wolverhampton

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.588 / 52°35'16"N

Longitude: -2.118 / 2°7'4"W

OS Eastings: 392099

OS Northings: 298920

OS Grid: SO920989

Mapcode National: GBR 1GJ.HN

Mapcode Global: WHBFZ.F6MS

Plus Code: 9C4VHVQJ+6Q

Entry Name: Low Level Station

Listing Date: 25 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1292930

English Heritage Legacy ID: 378634

Location: Heath Town, Wolverhampton, WV10

County: Wolverhampton

Electoral Ward/Division: Heath Town

Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Wolverhampton St Stephen, Springfields

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Wolverhampton

Description


WOLVERHAMPTON

SO99NW WEDNESFIELD ROAD
895-1/5/353 (South side)
25/03/86 Low Level Station

GV II

Railway station. 1853-4; enlarged 1869; altered 1899 and
1933-34. Station building designed by John Fowler. For the
Worcester, Oxford and Wolverhampton Railway, the Birmingham,
Wolverhampton and Dudley Railway and the Shrewsbury and
Birmingham Railway. Main station building: blue engineering
bricks, ashlar dressings and features, slate roofs. Originally
a symmetrical design in an Italianate style; central 2-storey,
5-bay, block with a single storey, 7-bay, wing set back to
either side, each terminated by a projecting 2-storey, 3-bay,
pavilion with hipped roof. The north west wing was heightened
to 2 storeys after 1869. The facade of the central block has
3-bay centre breaking forward under pediment pierced by a
lunette window. Bays defined by rusticated stone pilasters
with top frieze and cornice; 1st floor sill band. 3 central
round-arched entrances to booking hall have moulded
architraves, keystones and radial-bar fanlights; flanking
paired round-headed windows with bracketed sills and cornices;
1st floor has 3 round-headed windows in stone frames with
consoled stone pediments; flanking bays have paired
round-headed windows with pediments. Return lateral stacks.
The bays of side wings are defined by rusticated stone
pilasters; stone-coped brick parapets; the wider central bay
to each wing contains cariage way entry, archivolt on imposts
with vermiculated keystone; otherwise a window to each bay
with eared architrave on bracketed sill. A moulded corbel on
each pilaster of wings and central block supported former
external canopy. The end pavilions have 1st floor sill bands,
top friezes and cornices with blocking courses stepped up to
centre; stone quoins; framed arched windows under consoled
pediments, similar windows to 1st floor have keystones, not
pediments. Return lateral stacks; all stacks restored in late
1980s. Windows of 1853 have timber casements or fixed lights,
vertical external metal bars to some ground floor windows;
later windows are sashed with glazing bars; most boarded at
time of resurvey (1990).
INTERIOR (inspected 1986): full-height booking hall in central
block, 2-storey elevation; paired Doric pilasters to lower
level and paired Ionic pilasters above defining bays
containing arched openings with keystones; left side of hall
now blocked off and architectural detail mutilated; coved
ceiling with roof lights. The platform elevation has a brick
plinth; doors and windows to waiting rooms, restaurant and
offices with Italianate details. Some original features in
several rooms. Station was originally served by mixed broad
and standard gauge tracks but broad gauge eliminated after
1869. A length of broad gauge track visible at north end of
the platform. 3 K6 type telephone call boxes on platform.
Great Western Railway and platform and tracks covered by a
glazed roof replaced after 1930 by platform verandahs on
cast-iron columns. Later, the platforms linked by bridge with
1933-4 luggage lifts. The station was a terminus for the
Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway. Passanger Rail
services ceased in 1972.
(Railways Magazine: Perkins TR: The Railways of Wolverhampton:
1952-).


Listing NGR: SO9209998920

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.