This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1016 / 54°6'5"N
Longitude: -1.551 / 1°33'3"W
OS Eastings: 429455
OS Northings: 467395
OS Grid: SE294673
Mapcode National: GBR KPM0.0F
Mapcode Global: WHC81.45PG
Plus Code: 9C6W4C2X+JH
Entry Name: Markenfield Hall
Listing Date: 23 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1293954
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330977
Location: Markenfield Hall, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Markenfield Hall
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 26 NE MARKINGFIELD HALL HELL WATH LANE
5/56 Markenfield Hall
Fortified manor house, with offices and outbuildings. 1310-1323 for John de
Markenfield, with late C16 additions and alterations for Sir Thomas Egerton.
Further alterations c1780 for Sir Fletcher Norton. first Baron Grantley of
Markenfield, and C1850 by J R Walbran for the fourth Lord Grantley. Restoration
1981-4 by J S Miller for seventh Lord Grantley. Ashlar and coursed
limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. Stone slate roofs. Quoins. The
buildings are ranged round a rectangular courtyard and enclosed by a moat.
There are 4 ranges: 1) south range, with 2-storey gatehouse, bridge over moat and
flanking walls; 2) low 2-storey west range of outbuildings, probably stables
and barns, now stores; 3) 2-storey east range of accommodation and offices
and probably the original entrance to the courtyard; and 4) the principal
north range composed of the 3-storey L-shaped block at north-east corner of
the courtyard, with a 2-storey service block attached to the west end of the
north wing. South range - C16 gatehouse: 2 bays. Central 4-centred
carriage arch flanked by single-light chamfered windows. First floor - two
2-light chamfered mullion windows. Kneelers with pyramidal finials; raised
verges with coping and ball finial. Left and right returns: blocked
doorway; 2-light chamfered mullion window with hoodmould, first floor.
Bridge: a single arch with band at road level and low gabled parapet.
Flanking walls linking gatehouse to east and west ranges: approximately 3.5
metres high with gabled coping of 3 courses of stone. Narrow slit openings,
gateway with board door to left in each wall. West range, courtyard side:
approximately 9 bays, at southern end. Central barn door flanked by round-
arched doorways; double garage doors near left end. Irregular fenestration
of chamfered rectangular lights. Rear, overlooking moat: windows as front;
remains of corbelled external first-floor chimney at south end (right).
East range, courtyard side: approximately 5 bays. Central blocked archway
with C20 glazed door and window flanked by fine moulded C15 arched doorways.
Single-light chamfered windows throughout. 3 evenly-spaced ridge stacks.
Rear, overlooking moat: projecting bay to right has C20 glazed door in
Gothic arch. Irregular fenestration of 1-, 2- and 3-light mullioned
windows, corbelled stack first-floor left. Main L-shaped range, north wing,
courtyard side. The important medieval features of this facade are: the
narrow pointed chamfered arch giving access to the service rooms, and at
first-floor above it the scar of the gabled roof covering the external
staircase which originally lead to a first-floor doorway immediately above;
the enlarged corner buttress to left of the ground-floor door enclosing a
privy; to right of the blocked first-floor door two 2-light hall windows
with trefoil-headed lights and quatrefoils. East wing, courtyard side, has
a fine staircase tower with blocked ground-floor door and narrow lights.
Bay to right added early C16 with pointed-arch doorway and, in south wall, a
2-light recessed mullion window with moulded reveals to each floor. A
moulded first-floor string course to east wing, and north and east wings
have string and embattled parapet. North wing, rear (from moat): 3 bays,
central pointed-arch entrance with double doors; projecting 2-storey pent-
roofed guarderobe bay to left; 4 buttresses to right; central external stack
flanked by first-floor hall windows as courtyard side. East wing, rear
(from moat): board door in round arch to left; chapel window of 3 trefoil-
headed lights with quatrefoils above in the centre, first floor. Pairs of
2-light C16 windows to right on each floor. 5 buttresses along this face of
the building, and 2 ornate medieval chimney stacks (restored) behind
battlements to right. The lower, 2-storey service block at the west end of
the north wing has C20 doorway; one 2-light mullioned window to left and 2
to upper floor; a row of carved heads and shields below eaves level; and an
external stack to left with elaborate crenellated top. It was the great
kitchen built early C15. Interior: recent restoration has shown that the
whole of the ground floor of the main building was vaulted. The chapel
retains its piscina with shield bearing the Markenfield Arms. Solar and
south chamber have medieval fireplaces. The wide fireplace below the great
hall was inserted in the C18 when the cross-beams were positioned on the
pavements of the wall-walks of the battlements. The restoration work of
1981-84 (Miller 1985) revealed much new information about the medieval
structure. 'Markenfield Hall, Yorkshire', Country Life, Feb 10, 1912,
pp 206-212 'Markenfield Hall, Yorkshire', Country Life,Dec 28, 1940, pp 566-
701. J S Miller, 'Restoration work at Markenfield Hall, 1981-84',
Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, 57, 1985, pp 101-110. N Pevsner,
Yorkshire West Riding, 1967, p 359, M Wood, The English Medieval House',
1965, p 180 etc.
Listing NGR: SE2946167397
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings