This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0104 / 53°0'37"N
Longitude: -2.2196 / 2°13'10"W
OS Eastings: 385361
OS Northings: 345922
OS Grid: SJ853459
Mapcode National: GBR M9H.3C
Mapcode Global: WHBCS.WL6H
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 27 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1297450
English Heritage Legacy ID: 385973
Location: Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, ST5
Electoral Ward/Division: Town
Built-Up Area: Newcastle-under-Lyme
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Newcastle-under-LymeStPaul
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME
SJ8545NW VICTORIA ROAD
644-1/11/57 (North East side)
27/09/72 Church of St Paul
Parish Church. 1905-8. By R. Scrivener. Red sandstone,
rusticated, coursed and squared, with tiled roofs. NW tower
and spire, nave with 2 aisles, chancel. Perpendicular style.
Tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses and decorative
traceried bands surmounted by octagonal lantern with parapet
and spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Doorway in base of tower
with ogee arch and niche containing statue over. In west wall
of nave, giant 7-light west window over canted bay with square
headed 2-light windows. Projecting west porch clasps the south
aisle. Low aisles with small square-headed windows, and high
clerestorey above with 3-light traceried windows. Paired
gables to south aisle chapel. 5-light east window to chancel.
INTERIOR: very simple and open, to the specifications of the
first incumbant. Narrow low aisles form ambulatory, with
arcade of 3 bays with wide 4-centred arches. Decoratve string
course runs below clerestory windows, the bays marked by
shafts carried on angel corbels which carry cambered trusses
and tie beams. Intermediate cambered trusses carried on higher
corbels. No nave pews, instead the chairs specified in the
original brief survive, mounted on low dais. Simple chamfered
chancel arch with hood mould. Altar piece of 1940-45 by the
Wareham guild, adding to the original traceried panelled altar
an oak panelled surround with riddle posts capped by angels
and painted. Encaustic tiles to chancel and nave, possibly by
Minton. Organ in south chancel chapel by William Hill. Pulpit
and lectern taken from Saint Judes, Hanley, also by Scrivener,
and now demolished. Western baptistery with small font on
marble shafts with foliate capitals, 1899, taken from the tin
church which formerly stood on this site. Stained glass: East
window of 1918.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire:
Harmondsworth; The Victoria History of the County of Stafford:
Jenkins J G: A History of Newcastle Under Lyme: Stafford:
Listing NGR: SJ8536145922
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings