This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0492 / 54°2'56"N
Longitude: -2.803 / 2°48'10"W
OS Eastings: 347523
OS Northings: 461763
OS Grid: SD475617
Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.Y7
Mapcode Global: WH846.XHF6
Entry Name: Music Room
Listing Date: 22 December 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298332
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383341
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4761NE SUN STREET
1685-1/7/308 (West side)
22/12/53 Music Room
Garden pavilion, now shop and flat. c1730, extensively
restored in the early 1970s after falling into dereliction.
Sandstone ashlar with rubble to sides and rear and with a
slate roof behind a parapet.
The facade is tall and narrow, of 3 storeys and 3 bays with a
wider central bay. The 2 lower storeys have fluted pilasters,
Ionic on the ground floor and Corinthian on the 1st floor,
carrying entablatures. The attic storey has panelled
pilasters, and a cornice below a balustrade. The central first
floor glazing bar sash has a moulded surround with a
swan-necked pediment supported on brackets and with a central
urn, on either side are similar sashes in plain surrounds.
Above three 9-pane smaller sashes, the central one with a
moulded surround. On the ground floor the outer bays have
doorways with architraves. Above each is a round-headed window
with moulded imposts. The wide central round-arched opening is
now glazed and has moulded imposts, a mask keystone, and
scrollwork spandrel decoration.
INTERIOR: the principal room, on the first floor, has very
richly decorated plasterwork walls and ceiling of c1730. Above
the fireplace is the god Apollo with his lyre. To each side
are plaster panels with central medallion heads depicting the
Muses, a motif which is repeated on the other walls. Above a
heavy cornice the ceiling has Ceres surrounded by garlands of
fruit and flowers and medallions bearing portraits of Roman
HISTORY: probably built by Oliver Marton Senior in the garden
of No.76 Church Street (qv) at some time after his purchase of
the house in 1723 and before his death in 1744. The
plasterwork has been attributed to Francesco Vassalli because
of the similarity of the medallion heads to ones he is known
to have executed at Towneley Hall in 1729-30. Restored and
converted by the Landmark Trust.
(Beard G: Decorative Plasterwork in Great Britain: London:
Listing NGR: SD4752361763
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings