This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7602 / 51°45'36"N
Longitude: -1.8367 / 1°50'12"W
OS Eastings: 411368
OS Northings: 206848
OS Grid: SP113068
Mapcode National: GBR 3QJ.QGC
Mapcode Global: VHB2M.30WY
Entry Name: Arlington Mill (Including Cottages Previously Listed As Abutting Arlington Mill) arlington Mill Cottages (Including Cottages Previously Listed As Abutting Arlington Mill)
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Last Amended: 5 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303546
English Heritage Legacy ID: 127270
Location: Bibury, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Bibury
Built-Up Area: Arlington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Bibury with Winson
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
BIBURY A433, Arlington
11/24 Arlington Mill and No 1, Arlington
Mill Cottages (including cottages
previously listed as abutting
23.1.52 Arlington Mill)
Formerly woollen and corn mills with 3 attached houses; now museum
with one attached house. Late C17; additions of c1700, early and
mid C19; major 1859 alterations to mill; restored 1966 by David
Verey. Random rubble, coursed and ashlar limestone; ashlar and
brick chimneys; stone slate roof. Main 3 and 4-storey mill block
with 3 and 2-storey houses at south west end; 2-storey with attic
mill cottage on south east side. South east (road) side: mill
block to right with gable-mounted cut-down chimney to left.
Scattered mostly C19 segmental arched casement fenestration. Two
tall raking buttresses with coped tops and bold diagonal corner
buttresses are part of mid C19 strengthening of structure.
Segmental arched doorway with plank door and hipped roofed porch is
approached up flight of stone steps. Projecting mill cottage
attached below chimney gable to left has lean-to addition in angle
on right side; scattered timber casement fenestration with timber
lintels except for two upper floor 2-light recessed chamfered
mullioned casements with hoodmoulds on south west side; C19
altered doorway below with 4-panel door; 2 eaves-mounted gabledf
roof dormers. Three-storey mill house to left has ashlar
elevation with 2-window 3-light mullioned casement fenestration
with hoodmoulds; no windows to upper floor. Further house to
left has single-window 3-light mullioned casement fenestration with
doorway to right having 6-panel door; single eaves-mounted dormer.
South west end: half-hipped lean-to to end house. East end:
tall gable end to mill with diagonal and off-centre offset
buttresses. Rear: scattered fenestration to mill as to front.
Various eaves-mounted and mid-pitch ashlar chimneys.
Interior: iron columns and girders are from 1859 rebuilding to
take steam-powered corn-milling machinery, since removed. Present
mill machinery is from North Cerney. Other parts of building now
used for the display of Victorian and Arts and Crafts exhibits.
Recorded as a cloth and corn mill in C17, continuing in dual use
until mid C19 concentration upon corn milling. C19 buttresses and
position in village contribute to picturesque nature of building.
(A.R.J. Jurica, 'Bibury' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp. 21-44; and
D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979.)
Listing NGR: SP1136806848
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings