This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8072 / 51°48'26"N
Longitude: -1.9268 / 1°55'36"W
OS Eastings: 405146
OS Northings: 212067
OS Grid: SP051120
Mapcode National: GBR 3PT.RP7
Mapcode Global: VHB25.KT8Y
Entry Name: The Manor
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Last Amended: 12 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304849
English Heritage Legacy ID: 131086
Location: Chedworth, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Chedworth
Built-Up Area: Chedworth
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Chedworth St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
CHEDWORTH CHEDWORTH VILLAGE
10/60 The Manor
(formerly listed as Manor
23.1.52 Farmhouse and Barn)
Former farmhouse, marked as Manor Farmhouse on the 6 inch O.S. map,
possibly with medieval origins. The present house appears to
mainly date from the C17 but was altered during the C18 and
extended in the C19. Random roughly squared limestone with dressed
stone quoins; stone slate roof; stacks restored C20 in squared
and dressed limestone. 'L'-shaped C17 range with remains of an
earlier range at right angles at rear adjoining a C17 kitchen range
with some additional C19 service rooms. Main body: 2 storeys with
a 3-windowed facade with. two raking buttresses to eaves height.
Four 12-pane sashes with rebated dressed stone surrounds to the
ground floor; three 3-light double-chamfered stone-mullioned
casements with early fastenings to the first floor. Similar
fenestration to the right gable end. Central early C20 four-
panelled door with a dressed stone surround with an inscription 'UN
ROI', UN LOI, UNE FOI' in raised letters on the lintel. Two and 3-
light wooden casements to the ranges at the rear. Hipped roof to
main body. Projecting first floor stack with corbels at the base
at the left gable end of the main body; gable-end and axial stacks
Interior: C18 dog gate to spiral staircase in rear wall of the
main body. Date 1776 with fleur de lys above crudely incised into
plaster over the inner wall of the wine store on the ground floor.
Single upper cruck truss in the range linking the main body to the
kitchen range. Large open fireplace with bressumer, washing copper
and early bread oven in the kitchen which contains beams with
stepped stops. Roman altar piece with figure of god (possibly
Esculapius) in relief built into the wall of the adjoining room
(possibly from Chedworth Villa). Stone with Maltese cross in
relief (probably from a medieval chapel which once stood at St
John's Ashes nearby) is also built into the opposite wall.
(V.C.H. Glos. Vol VII, p16)
Listing NGR: SP0514612067
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings