This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1811 / 51°10'52"N
Longitude: -4.0133 / 4°0'47"W
OS Eastings: 259375
OS Northings: 144358
OS Grid: SS593443
Mapcode National: GBR KS.5YZ5
Mapcode Global: VH4MD.DK5X
Entry Name: Indicknowle Farmhouse
Listing Date: 9 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306906
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97004
Location: Berrynarbor, North Devon, Devon, EX34
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Berrynarbor
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Berrynarbor St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 54 SE
4/29 Indicknowle Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Probably 1716 by date plaque extended to rear in C19. Roughly dressed
unrendered stone rubble. Slate roof with gable ends to main range, asbestos slate
roofs to rear extension and to lower range at left end of main range. Large
unrendered rear lateral hall stack of unrendered stone rubble with drip, enclosed by
rear extension, ivy-clad stone rubble stack at left gable end, and axial unrendered
stone rubble stack towards right end of main range.
Interesting plan, consisting of through-passage containing staircase with heated
service room in range with lower ridge level to left and hall to right heated by
rear lateral stack. Solid walls rise to the apex of the roof on both sides of
cross-passage and to upper end of hall. Beyond the hall, but now with no connecting
doorway through, is a second through-passage with probably a heated parlour to right
heated by the axial stack with staircase at the rear beside the stack, and an
additional unheated service room at the right end. The whole range to the right of
the hall is unoccupied (Jan 1986). It is possible that the timber frame partition
with stone rubble infilling to the right-hand side of the second through-passage is
a later, probably C19 insertion and that originally there was a connecting doorway
through from the hall direct into the heated inner room. The insertion of the
partition to create a new through-passage and the blocking up of the doorway through
from the hall probably witnessed the division of the house for occupation as 2
units, which would account for the addition of a large gable-ended 2-storey service
range to the rear of the main range which provided kitchens for use by each unit.
The right-hand unit was in fact occupied within living memory as a separate cottage
by the housemaid, afterwards being used for housing stock.
2 storeys. 3-window range. Half-gabled dormers with bargeboards and C19 2-light
casements, 6 panes per light. Above the central window is the date 1716. Two 16-
paned sashes, left side with horns, to hall, with C20 porch with slated gabled roof
to left-hand through-passage and plank door with small paned overlight to right-hand
passage. The front of the lower service range at left end is blind. At the right
end, there are 3 blocked windows above 2 plank doors, with no ground floor windows
lighting these 2 rooms at the front.
Interior: hall has slightly cambered stone arch instead of more usual timber lintel.
Creamery niche to right. Relatively high ceiling with no ceiling beams, only
joists, probably originally intended to take plaster, but now exposed. 4-panelled
door with H-L hinges between hall and left-hand through-passage. Fireplace to left-
hand service room blocked but bread oven projects into rear service range. This has
a separate fireplace at inner end with 2 bread ovens. The inner room in the right-
hand unit has an ovolo moulded fireplace lintel with unusual enriched step stops
(c.f. Brinscott Farmhouse and Hill Barton, Berrynarbor). The ceiling is similar to
that of the hall. Blocked doorway, now a cupboard, through into room at right end
which is unheated. Original roof structure to main range with straight principals
to the trusses pegged at the apex, two tiers of slightly trenched purlins and halved
and lapped collars. No sign of smoke-blackening.
Listing NGR: SS5937544358
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings