This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.962 / 50°57'43"N
Longitude: -3.3424 / 3°20'32"W
OS Eastings: 305824
OS Northings: 118918
OS Grid: ST058189
Mapcode National: GBR LQ.MM2V
Mapcode Global: FRA 36WK.PPG
Plus Code: 9C2RXM65+Q3
Entry Name: Holcombe Rogus School
Listing Date: 17 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307184
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95957
Location: Holcombe Rogus, Mid Devon, Devon, TA21
Civil Parish: Holcombe Rogus
Built-Up Area: Holcombe Rogus
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Holcombe Rogus All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
HOLCOME ROGUS FORE STREET, Holcombe Rogus
ST 01 NE
- Holcombe Rogus School
School, formerly Webbers Charity School. Dated 1849, 1950 and 1962 extensions.
Grey-coloured local chert rubble laid to rough courses; Bathstone detail; slate
Plan: school. The main block is set back on a terrace above the street and faces
south. There are 2 main classrooms the right (east) one larger than the left and
there is an entrance between. A 1-room plan crosswing projects forward at right
angles from the right (east) end and only overlaps the main block on the front
corner. These are single storey blocks and there are C20 blocks to rear and to
west. The original school is built in a restrained Tudor style.
Exterior: the main block has a 3-window front of large 3-light stone mullion-and-
transom windows and there are similar in each gable end wall. There is a doorway
left of centre on the front; a 2-centred arch containing a plank door. This block
is gable-ended with shaped kneelers and coping. The left (west) gable is surmounted
by an ashlar gabled bellcote which was restored to working order in 1982. The front
gable end of the crosswing has diagonal buttresses, a 3-light stone-mullioned
window, above which is a carved stone scroll proud of the wall face, and inscribed
Holcombe Rogus Charity School, 1849. This gable too has-shaped kneelers and coping.
Interior: was not inspected but it seems that the original C19 structure survives
as superficially modernised in the C20.
This school, endowed-by a Mrs Webber of Bampton in 1823, is an important group
component in the centre of the village.
Source: Andrew Gabriel and Barbara Fletcher. A Short History of Holcombe Rogus
(1986) p. 25.
Listing NGR: ST0582318921
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings