This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1907 / 52°11'26"N
Longitude: -2.5055 / 2°30'19"W
OS Eastings: 365541
OS Northings: 254842
OS Grid: SO655548
Mapcode National: GBR FV.453Z
Mapcode Global: VH856.J69D
Plus Code: 9C4V5FRV+7R
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307758
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150983
Location: Bromyard and Winslow, County of Herefordshire, HR7
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Bromyard and Winslow
Built-Up Area: Bromyard
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Bromyard
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
BROMYARD, CHURCH OF ST PETER
Church dating from the late C12, C13 and C14 with C19 and C20 additions and alterations.
MATERIALS: Sand-stone rubble with a slate roof.
PLAN: Formerly cruciform it now comprises; nave, early C14 chancel, north and south aisles and central embattled tower with circular staircase at the north-east corner.
EXTERIOR: There are three Norman doorways, two of which are re-set. That to the north aisle has a later tympanum and three shafts to each side. That on the south side has an altered original tympanum. Above it is set a stone with shallow-relief carving showing St Peter which may be Anglo-Saxon. The earliest fenestration is the Geometrical tracery in the north window of the north transept of pre-1300, the rest are all of C14 date with intersecting or Y-tracery. The west window dates from 1937 when the west door was blocked and the east window dates from 1933. There are two C14 tomb recesses set in the outer walls of the south aisle and transept.
INTERIOR: The nave arcades have different capitals; that to the south has scalloped capitals while those to the north have leaf forms. The north would seem to be later and is dated to c.1210 [Pevsner]. The roof pitch was altered c.1805 over the nave and aisles and ceilings with large-scale coving were inserted. At the same time the pillars of both nave arcades were heightened. The chancel was restored and re-ordered in 1877 by Thomas Nicholson and the panelled ceiling was inserted at that time together with the choir stalls and pulpit, all in a Perpendicular style. The font is C12 and has two tiers of decoration. The communion table is C16 with bulbous legs. There is a series of C14 tomb recesses to the nave and South transept. The organ dates from 1839 and was initially housed in a western gallery but moved to its present position to the north of the choir in the late C19. It has a wooden, battlemented case with cusped openings which reveal the pipes.
Summary of Importance: This church is a major survival of C12 fabric, including three doorways, two especially fine, one with possibly pre-Conquest carving. There is a C14 crossing tower with circular stair turret, window tracery, tomb recesses and a Norman font.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings