This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9086 / 52°54'30"N
Longitude: -2.8772 / 2°52'37"W
OS Eastings: 341104
OS Northings: 334934
OS Grid: SJ411349
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.NX6M
Mapcode Global: WH89S.S531
Plus Code: 9C4VW45F+C4
Entry Name: T Shaped Outbuilding Approximately 10 Metres East of Swiss Cottage
Listing Date: 25 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307767
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260845
Location: Welshampton and Lyneal, Shropshire, SY12
Civil Parish: Welshampton and Lyneal
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ellesmere St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
ELLESMERE RURAL C.P.
T-shaped outbuilding approx. 10m east of Swiss Cottage
Outbuilding. Circa 1826 to 1842 for Charles Kynaston Mainwaring with
later additions and alterations. Red brick; rusticated sandstone ashlar
to tower and rear; lean-to slate roofs with fishscale bands to pyramidal
roof of tower. T-plan. Single storey with corbelled eaves cornice to
tower. Left range has segmental-headed cast-iron window to front and
similar narrower window to projecting range with triangular pointed window
to right return. Right range has late C19 casement to left, C20 casement
to centre and boarded door to right; stone stack in roof slope to centre.
Tower, projecting to rear, has doorway with shouldered lintel and latticed
oriel above with shouldered lintel. Triangular pointed doorway to right
on first floor. Gabled lucarnes and pointed finial to pyramidal roof.
Charles Kynaston Mainwaring was a keen amateur gardener and he travelled
extensively on the continent. It is believed that he was personally
responsible for much of the design of the garden at Oteley and for the
features therein. His house, Oteley Park, built for him in an Elizabethan
style on the site of an earlier building between 1826 and 1830 and extended
in 1842 was demolished c.1960. B.O.E. p. 226; Peter Reid, Burke's and
Savills Guide to Country Houses, Vol. II (1980),pp. 106-7;Francis Leach,
The Country Seats of Shropshire (1891), pp. 19-23; Mrs. Frances Stackhouse
Acton, Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire (1868), p. 58.
Listing NGR: SJ4110434934
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings