This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9086 / 52°54'31"N
Longitude: -2.8775 / 2°52'39"W
OS Eastings: 341081
OS Northings: 334940
OS Grid: SJ410349
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.NX40
Mapcode Global: WH89S.R5Y0
Plus Code: 9C4VW45C+FX
Entry Name: Swiss Cottage
Listing Date: 25 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366573
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260844
Location: Welshampton and Lyneal, Shropshire, SY12
Civil Parish: Welshampton and Lyneal
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ellesmere St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
ELLESMERE RURAL C.P.
Swiss cottage, now disused. Circa 1826 to 1842 for Charles Kynaston
Mainwaring. Horizontal split-log construction on rock-faced rusticated
plinth to main range, regularly coursed and dressed red sandstone blocks
to gabled range; fishscale slate roof with carved woodwork to wide spreading
verges and eaves; carved pendants and finials. Basic L-plan with porch
projecting to north. Single storey. South side has gable to right with
Tudor arch to passage going through to north side. North side has open
gabled timber porch to left with carved decorative open-work panels to
sides and ornamental half-glazed doors with decorative tracery. 4-light
leaded window to right supported on carved wooden brackets and similar
window to right gable end. Rusticated stone axial stack behind ridge to
right. Interior. Retains traces of original decorative scheme.
Elaborately decorated frieze with fleur-de-lys decoration below. Guilloche
pattern to door. Exposed rafter roof and tile floor. Charles Kynaston
Mainwaring was a keen amateur gardener and he travelled extensively on the
continent. It is believed that he was personally responsible for much
of the design of the garden at Oteley and for the features therein. His
house, Oteley Park, built for him in an Elizabethan style on the site of
an earlier building between 1826 and 1830 and extended in 1842 was demolished
c.1960. B.O.E. p. 226; Peter Reid, Burke's and Savills Guide to Country
Houses, Vol. II (198C),pp.106-7 ; Francis Leach, The Country Seats of
Shropshire (1891), pp. 19-23; Mrs. Frances Stackhouse Acton, Castles
and Old Mansions of Shropshire (1868),p. 58.
Listing NGR: SJ4108134940
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings