This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.908 / 52°54'28"N
Longitude: -2.8777 / 2°52'39"W
OS Eastings: 341070
OS Northings: 334865
OS Grid: SJ410348
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.NX2Z
Mapcode Global: WH89S.R5WH
Plus Code: 9C4VW45C+5W
Entry Name: Tower at Ngr Sj 41066 34863
Listing Date: 25 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366572
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260841
Location: Welshampton and Lyneal, Shropshire, SY12
Civil Parish: Welshampton and Lyneal
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ellesmere St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 41066 34863
ELLESMERE RURAL C.P.
Tower at N.G.R. SJ 41066 34863
Tower. Circa 1826 to 1842 for Charles Kynaston Mainwaring. Yellow
sandstone ashlar with red sandstone dressings; machine tile broached
spire with richly ornamented wrought-iron weathervane. Venetian style.
Rectangular section to bottom stage has decorative gable above cusped 2-
light window with bracketed stone balcony beneath to south side.
Pointed doorway to east side. Corbelled stone balcony with pierced
trefoils to balustrade all round above 2-light window, supports upper
stage which has gabled octagonal top with narrow pointed windows to
cardinal faces; stepped chamfered projections to sides between. Charles
Kynaston Mainwaring was a keen amateur gardener and he travelled extensively
on the continent. It is believed that he was personally responsible for
much of the design of the garden at Oteley and for the features therein.
His house, Oteley Park, built for him in an Elizabethan style on the site
of an earlier building between 1826 and 1830 and extended in 1842 was
demolished c.1960. B.O.E. p. 226; Peter Reid, Burke's and Savills
Guide to Country Houses, Vol. II (1980)p p. 106-7 ; Francis Leach,
The Country Seats of Shropshire (1891), pp.19-23; Mrs. Frances Stackhouse
Acton, Castles and Did Mansions of Shropshire (1868), p.58.
Listing NGR: SJ4107034865
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings