This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1824 / 53°10'56"N
Longitude: -2.6145 / 2°36'52"W
OS Eastings: 359030
OS Northings: 365208
OS Grid: SJ590652
Mapcode National: GBR 7P.3FFX
Mapcode Global: WH99P.T85N
Entry Name: Monument to John Francis Egerton
Listing Date: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310479
English Heritage Legacy ID: 57333
Location: Little Budworth, Cheshire West and Chester, CW6
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Little Budworth
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Little Budworth St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chester
LITTLE BUDWORTH C.P. OULTON PARK
SJ 56 NE
3/51 Monument to John Francis
Monument. 1846 or 1847. By G G Scott and Moffat. Yellow sandstone
ashlar. Square base supporting square monument with diagonal
buttresses and octagonal turret with spire crowned with cross.
South Front: diapering to lower body with offset above and damaged
sculpted panel above showing house and classical figures. Moulded
surround with small ballflowers. Second offset above this with row of
ballflowers immediately below. Above this the diagonal buttresses
have canopied niches with figures of women in Mediaeval costume on
semi-octagonal bases supported on semi-octagonal columns with floral
capitals. To centre is two-light blank tracery with cusped lower
lights and trefoils above with quartrefoil to top all set within
cusped surround. Gable above with crockets and trefoil containing
coat of arms. Octagonal turret above with blank tracery and moulded
cornice above with gables above that and octagonal spire beyond that.
Tops of diagonal buttresses have gargoyles and crocketed pinacles.
Right and left hand returns similar save that they have blank panels
in place of sculpted panel. Rear: similar save for bronze plaque in
place of sculpted panel commemorating John Francis Egerton and
detailing the events surrounding his death at Ferozapore in April
1846. One of the more elaborate of the series of Victorian monuments
inspired by the Eleanor Crosses.
Listing NGR: SJ5903065208
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings