This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5804 / 54°34'49"N
Longitude: -1.2337 / 1°14'1"W
OS Eastings: 449627
OS Northings: 520848
OS Grid: NZ496208
Mapcode National: GBR MHTG.PT
Mapcode Global: WHD70.04SD
Entry Name: Cleveland Buildings
Listing Date: 17 July 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1312710
English Heritage Legacy ID: 59701
Location: Middlesbrough, TS2
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Middlesbrough All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
MIDDLESBROUGH CLEVELAND STREET,
NZ 4920 NE east side.
Pair of houses, c.1835, with mid C19 left extension and c.1960 rear
extension. Brick in English garden wall bond, with painted stone plinth and
dressings. Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys, 6 windows. Renewed 6-panel door,
and overlight with margin lights, in fluted Tuscan doorcase with panelled
reveals. Sculptured seahorse, and flagpole, on cornice. Sash windows with
glazing bars, wedge lintels and sill strings. Chamfered quoins at right
end. Shallow-pitched hipped roof, transverse ridge stack and stack on right
pitch. 2-bay right return and 2-bay extension in keeping. Blocked circular
opening for clock, between first and 2nd floors and first and 2nd bays, now
relocated in similar position at junction with extension. Circular blue
plaque, at right of entrance, records: "H.W.F. BOLCKOW and JOHN VAUGHAN
founders of the CLEVELAND IRON TRADE lived here 1841-1860". Pair of
2-storey cottages adjoining left are not of special interest. INTERIOR:
panelled shutters and panelled doors in wood architraves. Right
ground-floor room has foliage-enriched ceiling cornice and central acanthus
roundel. Elliptical-headed alcoves, with panelled responds and intrados,
flanking Adam style marble fireplace, recovered from Cunard liner Aquitania.
Similar arches lead to former staircase hall and left ground-floor room.
c.1960 extension has Adam-style ceiling.
Listing NGR: NZ4962720848
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings