History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cleveland Club, Area Walls, Piers and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Central, Middlesbrough

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.5806 / 54°34'50"N

Longitude: -1.2341 / 1°14'2"W

OS Eastings: 449603

OS Northings: 520872

OS Grid: NZ496208

Mapcode National: GBR MHTG.MR

Mapcode Global: WHD70.04M7

Entry Name: Cleveland Club, Area Walls, Piers and Railings

Listing Date: 17 July 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1139868

English Heritage Legacy ID: 59700

Location: Middlesbrough, TS2

County: Middlesbrough

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Middlesbrough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Middlesbrough All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

NZ 4920 NE west side.

8/17 Cleveland Club,
area walls, piers
17.7.68 and railings.
Bank, 1870/72 by John Gibson (Westminster), for National Provincial Bank.
Converted to private club 1936. Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate roof, with
brick stacks. Renewed wrought iron railings. French Baroque style. One
storey and basement, 5 bays. Applied Roman Doric Order, with guttae and
paterae in frieze, inscribed : "NATIONAL PROVINCIAL BANK OF ENGLAND", and
"ESTABLISHED A.D. MDCCCXXXIII" over doorway. Paired columns flanking
doorway and at ends. Central slightly-projecting pedimented porch, up
flight of 6 steps. Panelled double doors and blind overlight, in corniced,
fluted surround, under 3-light moulded mullioned window. Sculpture in
tympanum by Messrs Mabey, depicting Britannia flanked by ironworker and
miner. Round-headed windows, with renewed glazing, in quasi-Tuscan
surrounds. Scrolled keystones and moulded sills, on scrolled consoles
flanking panelled aprons. Basement windows have iron grilles. Straight
parapet, with pierced geometric-pattern panels, between square pedestals.
Shallow-pitched hipped roof with 2 corniced stacks. Similar 3- + 2-bay
returns, the rear end bays 2-storeyed and plain with square-headed windows.
Frieze inscribed "REBUILT ANNO DOM. MDCCCLXXII", on both returns. Area
wall has coupled gatepiers, moulded caps and plain railings. INTERIOR:
plain, with panelled doors in wood architraves. Late C20 rear extension is
not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NZ4960320872

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.