History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Central, Barnsley

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5554 / 53°33'19"N

Longitude: -1.4829 / 1°28'58"W

OS Eastings: 434356

OS Northings: 406656

OS Grid: SE343066

Mapcode National: GBR LW2B.R6

Mapcode Global: WHDCQ.6W4Q

Plus Code: 9C5WHG48+5V

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 13 January 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315008

English Heritage Legacy ID: 333699

Location: Central, Barnsley, S70

County: Barnsley

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Barnsley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Barnsley St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Barnsley

Description


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29 July 2021 to correct the architects' names, correct the sources and to reformat the text to current standards

SE3406NW
8/13

BARNSLEY
CHURCH STREET (west side),
Church of St. Mary


GV
II*
Church. Tower c1400, the rest 1822 by Woodhead and Hurst, interior restored c1870 by G. F. Bodley and further alterations by Wade and Turner in 1885 . The tower is of deeply-coursed rubble, the rest ashlar. Welsh slate roof. Perpendicular west tower, the rest is in Early English style. West tower, five-bay nave with aisles and north and south porches, two bay chancel with one bay side chapels. Later vestry to north (in keeping). Tower: two tall stages with diagonal buttresses. West door under three-light C19 window with Perpendicular tracery. Two-light belfry openings with trefoil cusped lights. C19 crenellated parapet with eight crocketed pinnacles. The rest of the church has mainly narrow three-light windows with cusped intersecting tracery. The east window is of five lights with Perpendicular tracery probably part of c1870 restoration. The porches are square. Aisles are flat-roofed; the nave roof low-pitched. Crenellated ashlar parapets, with tall crocketed pinnacles to nave and aisles.

Interior: five bay north and south arcades on clustered piers. Panelled nave and aisle roofs, ribbed chancel roof. Good, geometrical chancel screen with iron grill, by G. F. Bodley. Two, large painted panels in eared architraves at foot of tower, with list of Donors to the poor from the C15 to early C18. Several wall memorials from mid C18 to early C19. Good late C19 stained glass to north aisle. Early C19 stained glass of four evangelists in north chapel, reset from east window. Other late C19 stained glass to south aisle.

Listing NGR: SE3435606656

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.