This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1896 / 52°11'22"N
Longitude: -2.1122 / 2°6'43"W
OS Eastings: 392428
OS Northings: 254598
OS Grid: SO924545
Mapcode National: GBR 2HM.LTW
Mapcode Global: VH92W.B7R9
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 3 August 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1319693
English Heritage Legacy ID: 442517
Location: Broughton Hackett, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR7
Civil Parish: Broughton Hackett
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Broughton Hackett
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
648/5/187 CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
DATES OF MAIN PHASES, NAME OF ARCHITECT: C14 church restored in 1843 by A.E. Perkins.
MATERIALS: Blue lias, laid as coursed rubble except for the rock-faced south wall and porch, with tile roofs and timber-framed turret.
PLAN: Nave and chancel under a single roof, west belfry and south-west porch.
EXTERIOR: The rebuilt south wall has only a single C19 2-light square-headed window. The S doorway is tall, with chamfered surround and pyramid stops. The 3-light Perpendicular east window is also C19. The west wall has angle buttresses and a small 2-light C14 Decorated window. In the north wall is a blocked doorway, which is chamfered with step stops under a timber lintel, and a 2-light square-headed window. A vertical joint is between nave and chancel, suggesting that the present chancel is later than the nave. The belfry is weatherboarded and has a pyramidal roof with weathervane.
INTERIOR: Nave has a shallow coved plaster ceiling; the chancel a flat plaster ceiling. Below the belfry are chamfered cross beams. Walls are plastered. The floor consists of C20 tiles with raised wood floors below the benches, and old ledger stones on the sanctuary floor.
PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: There is a benefaction board dated 1728 but other fixtures are C19 or C20. The small octagonal font is C19. Benches have simple ends. The C19 polygonal timber pulpit has Gothic blind panels and steps with brass hand rail. The communion rail has twisted brass standards. The east window of 1971 is by Francis W. Skeat, and depicts Christ as a Priest with the Sacrament.
HISTORY: A small church with C14 fabric, but altered and restored in 1843 by A.E. Perkins, architect of Worcester, who rebuilt the south wall and added the porch.
A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, 2007, p 208.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The church of St Leonard, Broughton Hackett, is listed Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* For the surviving fabric of a small C14 church.
* The church retains C19 internal and external character.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings