This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3862 / 50°23'10"N
Longitude: -4.1389 / 4°8'20"W
OS Eastings: 248038
OS Northings: 56221
OS Grid: SX480562
Mapcode National: GBR RBW.57
Mapcode Global: FRA 2860.Z87
Entry Name: Church of St Gabriel
Listing Date: 1 May 1975
Last Amended: 9 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1322003
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473544
Location: Plymouth, PL3
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Peverell
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX4856SW HYDE PARK ROAD, Mutley
740-1/37/339 (West side)
01/05/75 Church of St Gabriel
(Formerly Listed as:
HYDE PARK ROAD, Plymouth
Church of St Gabriel)
Anglican church. 1909 foundation stone, by WD Caroe, chancel
completed 1924, NE chapel 1954-55. Plymouth limestone brought
to course, yellow stone dressings; steep slate roofs laid to
diminishing courses and random widths, some coped gables.
STYLE: Free Middle Gothic.
PLAN: nave, chancel, N and S aisles, N and S transepts, NE
chapel with corner bell turret, porch between N transept and
aisle and principal NW porch.
EXTERIOR: buttressed aisles with 3-light traceried windows set
back under segmental arches, otherwise a very irregular
disposition of window openings and varied window types and
sizes. 5-light cusped chancel-arch window high up over
slightly bowed side-buttressed apse projection with central
niche containing carved angel. Chapel E window is 4 lights,
cusped and with curvilinear tracery, the king mullion is a
slender chimney breast, this rises from a weathered projection
and there is a small gable stack. The bell turret has N and S
buttressed gables with segmental-arched openings. N transept
has 3 stepped lancets, the centre lancet cruciform. W gable
behind stepped parapet has louvred window over large 4-light
traceried window to end with corner buttresses.
Deep plan single-storey porch to W end of N aisle; pointed
arched doorway with quatrefoil to either side above and
low-pitched gable to centre of parapet. Wide 2:3:2-light
window to right-hand return of porch. Smaller porch to angle
between N aisle and transept, with W doorway and 3-light N
INTERIOR: long nave with tall octagonal piers, very flat
arches and low waggon roofs.
FITTINGS: C17 altar rails from St Bartholemew, Lostwithiel;
reredos with low reliefs by R Pinwell; carved Christ in
Majesty above, 1949; good font with tapered sides and
stiff-leaf carving by Caroe.
GLASS: S aisle war memorial window 1918 of St Oswald by Kempe
& Co; above the chancel arch 5 small figures by Duncan Dearle
of Morris & Co.
A good example of Caroe's work, the articulation to the aisles
being a particularly notable part of the exterior.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
Listing NGR: SX4803856221
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings