This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0016 / 51°0'5"N
Longitude: -3.7707 / 3°46'14"W
OS Eastings: 275851
OS Northings: 123958
OS Grid: SS758239
Mapcode National: GBR L4.K6KK
Mapcode Global: FRA 26ZG.QS4
Entry Name: Gate Piers and Walls at the Entrance to the Drive to the Rectory
Listing Date: 18 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325500
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97580
Location: Bishop's Nympton, North Devon, Devon, EX36
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Bishop's Nympton
Built-Up Area: Bishop's Nympton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bishop's Nympton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 72 SE BISHOP'S NYMPTON
6/50 Gate-piers and walls at the
- entrance to the drive to the
Gate-piers and walls at the entrance to the Rectory (q.v.). Probably 1836 by J. Cock
of South Molton, who built the Rectory at this date for the Reverend Joseph Thorne.
Short sections of outward-curving walls extend from the gate-piers and end with
identical piers forming a turning place. Gate-piers square on section with plain
cornices and shallow pyramidal caps.
Group value with the Rectory and associated buildings.
There is a similar design at Grilstone, in the same parish, which was owned by Joseph
Thorne's father and was rebuilt in 1834, probably also by J. Cock.
Listing NGR: SS7585123958
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings