This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8945 / 50°53'40"N
Longitude: -3.2971 / 3°17'49"W
OS Eastings: 308868
OS Northings: 111353
OS Grid: ST088113
Mapcode National: GBR LS.RSM3
Mapcode Global: FRA 36ZQ.WW0
Plus Code: 9C2RVPV3+Q4
Entry Name: Ashill Court
Listing Date: 15 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325868
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95799
Location: Uffculme, Mid Devon, Devon, EX15
Civil Parish: Uffculme
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Uffculme St Mary Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 01 SE UFFCULME ASHILL
4/144 Ashill Court
Farmhouse. Probably late C16, with later alterations and additions. Roughcast cob
on stone footings; gable end thatched roof.
Plan: originally a 3-room, through-passage plan house, the lower end to the left of
the passage, enlarged by the addition of a room at the higher end probably in the
C17 or C18. The internal partition walls appear all to be of cob. The roof space
is not accessible, and the house could well be earlier. Hall is heated by an axial
stack backing onto the passage; external end stacks; all with brick shafts. The
inner room is unheated but was once heated by an end stack, now blocked, the shaft
dismantled. 2 sets of stairs, 1 in the main passage, C19 but removed there from the
service room in circa 1900; the other to the rear of the inner room which now
serves as a second entrance hall, a front door having been built in the mid C20. 2
Exterior. Front: early-C19 4-light casement window to hall, later 3-light window
to higher-end extension. The second (inner room) door with open timber porch.
Right-hand external stack, stone with set offs, the left-hand stack similar with
bake oven bulge concealed within shed. First floor 4-light C19 casement window to
Rear with C19 stone continuous outshut containing former dairy; slate and pantiled
Interior: service room with axial beam and half beam, both chamfered and unstopped;
end fireplace lintel chamfered with scroll stops. Fragment of C17 moulding placed
above the lintel serves as a mantel shelf. Hall with 1 full and 2 half beams,
chamfered, with notched scroll stops. Small cupboard, probably circa 1700, with
depressed panel and butterfly hinges. Inner room with deeply chamfered and
unstopped axial ceiling beam. Higher end extension with unstopped chamfered axial
beam. Early C19 joinery, including some panelled doors and internal shutters.
Roof: (roof space inaccessible). 2 trusses (above hall and inner room
respectively) appear to be jointed crucks, but are obscured by thick wallpaper.
Listing NGR: ST0886811353
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings