This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9519 / 50°57'6"N
Longitude: -4.0885 / 4°5'18"W
OS Eastings: 253396
OS Northings: 119015
OS Grid: SS533190
Mapcode National: GBR KP.NB2Z
Mapcode Global: FRA 26BL.F0J
Entry Name: Town Tenement Farmhouse Including Farmyard Wall Adjoining to South and Front Railings
Listing Date: 16 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326605
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91863
Location: St. Giles in the Wood, Torridge, Devon, EX38
Civil Parish: St. Giles in the Wood
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: St Giles in the Wood St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST GILES ST GILES IN THE WOOD
SS 53 19 IN THE WOOD
23/252 Town Tenement Farmhouse including
- farmyard wall adjoining to south
and front railings
Former estate farmhouse. Circa 1877 for the Honourable Mark George Kerr Rolle.
Local stone rubble with red brick dressings (rear block is plastered); stone stacks
with original brick chimneyshafts; slate roof with crested ridge tiles.
Plan: L-plan house. The main block faces east and has a 2-room plan with central
entrance rail. Both rooms have rear lateral stacks. 2-room rear kitchen block
projects at right angles behind the left room and has an outer lateral stack. 2
Exterior: 3-window front is symmetrically arranged around the front doorway which has
a gabled porch with a Tudor arch doorway (red brick with limestone imposts and
keystone) containing the original part-glazed plank door. Windows have low segmental
arches over, built of red brick with limestone keystones and contain original 16-pane
sashes. Roof is gable-ended to right. To left the rear block continues to a front
gable. This gable and the porch gable have cusped bargeboards.
Interior: not inspected.
From the right end of the front an original stone rubble wall projects southwards
across the front of the farmyard. It includes a gateway; plan square section gate
piers with brick quoins and low pyramid caps. The section to left of the gateway
ramps down in the centre. A narrow strip of ground in front of the house and
farmyard wall is enclosed by original cast iron railings; plain railings and bulbous
standards with fleur-de-lys finials. House gate in same style.
This was a Rolle estate village. The big house in the parish, Stevenstone Court
(q.v.), now ruined, was rebuilt in 1872-3. The whole village, including the Church
of St Giles (q.v.) was remodelled shortly afterwards.
Listing NGR: SS5339619015
Other nearby listed buildings