This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9524 / 50°57'8"N
Longitude: -4.0886 / 4°5'18"W
OS Eastings: 253393
OS Northings: 119075
OS Grid: SS533190
Mapcode National: GBR KP.NB1P
Mapcode Global: FRA 26BL.DYX
Plus Code: 9C2QXW26+XH
Entry Name: Nos 9 and 10 Including Front Railings
Listing Date: 16 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147906
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91860
Location: St. Giles in the Wood, Torridge, Devon, EX38
Civil Parish: St. Giles in the Wood
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: St Giles in the Wood St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST GILES ST GILES IN THE WOOD
SS 53 19 IN THE WOOD
23/249 Nos. 9 and 10 including front
Pair of former estate cottages. Circa 1876 for the Honourable Mark George Kerr
Rolle. Snecked local stone with ashlar quoins and yellow brick dressings; stone
stacks with red brick chimneyshafts (partly rebuilt in C20); slate roof.
Plan: Pair of contemporary cottages facing east, No. 9 to left ad No. 10 to right.
Each is a mirror plan of the other, 1 room wide and 2 deep, either side of 2 central
axial stacks both of which serve back-to-back fireplaces. Entrance porches in each
end wall. 2 storeys with single storey service rooms to rear.
Exterior: Symmetrical 4-window front. The windows have low segmental arches over.
No. 9 still has original timber mullion-and-transom windows with glazing bars but No.
10 has circa 1980 uPVC windows. 3 front gables with shaped bargeboards, the centre
one over a limestone plaque carved with the Rolle arms and with an illegible date.
Main roof is gable-ended. Each end are gabled porches with front doorways; brick-
lined Tudor arches with hoodmoulds. The doors are C20.
Interiors: not inspected.
A narrow strip of ground along the front is enclosed by original cast iron railings;
plain railings and bulbous standards with fleur-de-lys finials. Original gates in
the same style.
This was a Rolle estate village. The big house, Stevenstone Court (q.v.), now
ruined, was rebuilt in 1872-3 and the whole village, including the Church of St Giles
(q.v.), was remodelled soon afterwards.
Listing NGR: SS5339319075
Other nearby listed buildings