This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9521 / 50°57'7"N
Longitude: -4.0885 / 4°5'18"W
OS Eastings: 253395
OS Northings: 119034
OS Grid: SS533190
Mapcode National: GBR KP.NB2X
Mapcode Global: FRA 26BL.F0G
Plus Code: 9C2QXW26+RH
Entry Name: Nos 13, 14, 15 and 16 Including Front Railings
Listing Date: 16 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147922
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91862
Location: St. Giles in the Wood, Torridge, Devon, EX38
Civil Parish: St. Giles in the Wood
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: St Giles in the Wood St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST GILES ST GILES IN THE WOOD
SS 53 19 IN THE WOOD
23/251 Nos. 13, 14, 15 and 16 including
- front railings
Row of 4 former estate cottages Circa 1877 for the Honourable Mark George Kerr
Rolle. Snecked local stone and all arches (including the flat arches) are alternate
blocks of grey and cream coloured ashlar; stone stacks with C19 brick chimneyshafts;
roof of scallop-shaped slate.
Plan: Row of 4 contemporary cottages facing east. They number 13 - 16 from left to
right and each end pair is a mirror plan of the other. Each cottage is 1 room wide
and 2 deep. Nos. 14 and 15, the centre pair, have axial stacks backing onto the
outer end cottages, each of which have projecting end stacks. The end cottages are
articulated like crosswings and project very slightly forward. 2 storeys with single
storey service outshots to rear.
Exterior: is very attractive and is arranged symmetrically. Each cottage has a large
flat-headed window and 2 first floor pointed arch-head lancets. They contain
original or replacement casement windows. All the doorways have plain plank doors,
some with original ferramenta, behind gabled porches with 2-centred outer arches.
There are a pair of porches in the centre and others in the main front alongside the
slightly projecting outer bays. These outer bay gables, the M-shaped gables over the
first floor windows of Nos. 14 and 15, and the porches have original wavey
bargeboards with pendants. In the centre, high in the wall, is a plaque carved with
Rolle arms. It did include a date in Roman numerals but this is now illegible. The
main roof and the porch roofs are tall and steeply pitched.
Interiors: not inspected.
A narrow strip of ground along the front is enclosed by original cast iron railings;
plain railings and bulbous standards with fleur-de-lys finials. Original gates in
the same style.
This was a Rolle estate village. The big house, Stevenstone Court (q.v.), now
ruined, was rebuilt in 1872-3 and the whole village, including the Church of St Giles
(q.v.) was remodelled soon afterwards. This row of 4 cottages is the best of a well-
Listing NGR: SS5339519034
Other nearby listed buildings