This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9522 / 50°57'8"N
Longitude: -4.0886 / 4°5'18"W
OS Eastings: 253392
OS Northings: 119056
OS Grid: SS533190
Mapcode National: GBR KP.NB1R
Mapcode Global: FRA 26BL.DYZ
Plus Code: 9C2QXW26+VH
Entry Name: Nos 11 and 12 Including Front Railings
Listing Date: 16 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104994
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91861
Location: St. Giles in the Wood, Torridge, Devon, EX38
Civil Parish: St. Giles in the Wood
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: St Giles in the Wood St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST GILES ST GILES IN THE WOOD
SS 53 19 IN THE WOOD
23/250 Nos. 11 and 12 including front
Pair of former estate cottages. Dated 1876 for the Honourable Mark George Kerr
Rolle. Snecked local stone with ashlar quoins and yellow brick dressings; stone
stacks with red brick chimneyshafts (partly rebuilt in C20); slate roof.
Plan: pair of contemporary cottages facing east, No. 11 to left and No. 12 to right.
Each is a mirror plan of the other, 1 room wide and 2 deep, either side of 2 axial
stacks both of which serve back-to-back fireplaces. Entrance porches each end. 2
storeys with single storey service rooms to rear.
Exterior: Symmetrical 4-window front. The windows have low segmental arches over.
Most are original timber mullion-and-transom windows with glazing bars but some in
No. 12 are circa 1980 uPVC replacements. 3 front gables with shaped bargeboards, the
centre one over a limestone plaque carved with the Rolle arms and bearing the date
1876. Main roof is gable-ended. Each end are gabled porches with front doorways;
brick-lined Tudor arches with stone hoodmoulds. Both have C20 doors.
Interiors: not inspected.
A narrow strip of ground along the front is enclosed by original cast iron railings;
plain railings and bulbous standards with fleur-de-lys finials. Original gates in
the same style.
This was a Rolle estate village. The big house, Stevenstone Court (q.v.), now
ruined, was rebuilt in 1872-3 and the whole village, including the Church of St Giles
(q.v.) was remodelled soon afterwards.
Listing NGR: SS5339219056
Other nearby listed buildings