This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1621 / 51°9'43"N
Longitude: -4.6558 / 4°39'20"W
OS Eastings: 214399
OS Northings: 143666
OS Grid: SS143436
Mapcode National: GBR GTWM.83H
Mapcode Global: VH2SB.810Z
Entry Name: Lundy South Lighthouse Including Engine House and Accommodation Block
Listing Date: 7 October 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326625
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91979
Location: Torridge, Devon, EX39
Electoral Ward/Division: Clovelly Bay
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Lundy
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Lundy South Lighthouse including engine house and accommodation block.
Lighthouse.1897 for Trinity House. Granite, rendered and blocked out. Flat roof behind parapets. Circular tower with single storey square engine room attached on southeast side and covered passage on northwest side leading to rectangular plan single storey accommodation block on higher ground level.
Exterior: Squat slight tapered round tower with small windows and large cornice with cast-iron balustrade and large lattice-glazed lantern with weathervane on top of cylindrical ventilator. Attached to the southeast side of the tower is the later single storey engine room. On the northwest side a covered passage ramps up to the accommodation block on higher ground level. The passage and accommodation block have stepped cornice and blocking course concealing flat roof. Sash windows with glazing bars and plank doors.
Interior: not inspected.
Note: The South and Lundy North Lighthouses (qv) were built when the Old Lighthouse (qv) was abandoned in 1897, because it was often obscured by fog, being so high above sea level. The 52ft tower stands only 175ft above sea level. Some of the equipment from the Old Lighthouse was dismantled and reused in the South Lighthouse, but it was all replaced in 1962.
(Lighthouses, Their Architecture, History and Archaeology: D.B. Hague and R. Christie; Lundy: A and M Langham).
Listing NGR: SS1439943665
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings