This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1657 / 51°9'56"N
Longitude: -4.6629 / 4°39'46"W
OS Eastings: 213914
OS Northings: 144083
OS Grid: SS139440
Mapcode National: GBR GTVL.YPK
Mapcode Global: VH2S4.4Y7S
Plus Code: 9C3Q588P+7R
Entry Name: Millcombe House
Listing Date: 7 October 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326626
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91982
Location: Lundy, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Electoral Ward/Division: Clovelly Bay
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Lundy
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS14SW Millcombe House
House. Built in 1836 for and possibly designed by William
Hudson Heaven, the owners of the island. Stone, rendered and
blocked out. Lead roof behind parapet, with central valley
to collect rainwater. Rendered axial stacks with square
yellow clay pots. Double depth plan with narrower service
block at the back. 3 rooms at the front; the central
entrance hall with a staircase behind, is flanked by the
drawing room on left and dining room on right. The kitchen
is behind the dining room and other service rooms to the left
are behind the drawing room and stairs.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 1:3:1 bay,south east front,
the centre 3 bays break forward with pediment; band below
parapet. Central doorway, double recessed, with rectangular
overlight with diamond and margin panes, glazed and flush
panel double doors and shallow pediment on console brackets;
narrow flanking windows with margin glazing bars and similar
above, but with blind central window. Left and right of
front set back and with double recessed windows with C20
16-pane sashes (ground flow right original sash). Similar
sashes on left and right sides but mostly blind on first
floor. Similar 1:3:1 bay rear elevation without pediment.
Interior: Original joinery intact including hall doorways
with tracered fanlights, panelled doors, stick baluster and
column newel staircase behind hall. Marble chimneypieces,
panelled internal window shutters. Front right hand room has
moulded plaster ceiling cornice.
Note: William Hunt Heaven bought the island in 1834 for
9,870. (Lundy:A and M Langham:PP 66, 67).
Listing NGR: SS1391444083
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings