This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1726 / 51°10'21"N
Longitude: -4.6793 / 4°40'45"W
OS Eastings: 212799
OS Northings: 144897
OS Grid: SS127448
Mapcode National: GBR GTTL.9CZ
Mapcode Global: VH2S3.VS3G
Entry Name: Battery Cottages
Listing Date: 7 October 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326647
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91985
Location: Torridge, Devon, EX39
Electoral Ward/Division: Clovelly Bay
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Lundy
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS14SW BATTERY POINT
1938-0/2/12 Battery Cottages
Pair of attached cottages of fog signal gunners. Circa 1861
for Trinity House. Drressed granite with projecting plinth.
Now roofless, probably originally slated. Central axial
stack with red brick shaft. Double depth plan pair of
cottages, each with a front and back zoom heated from a
central axial stack and with unheated 2-cell outshuts either
side with small room at the back.
Exterior: 1 storey. 1:3:1 bay front. Central granite porch
with front window and side doorways, flanked by tall windows
to front rooms and with small windows in outshuts set back to
left and right. The sides of the outshuts have a doorway and
a window. At the rear facing the cliff 2 large windows. All
windows have granite lintels and cills, but frames missing.
Interior: gutted. Fireplaces in axial stack have granite
Note: The Old Lighthuse (qv) is situated at 470 feet above
sea level and was often obscured by fog. In an attempt to
solve the problem a fog signal battery (qv) was built in 1861
on cliffs below. The installation included these cottages
for the gunners and a magazine and integral privies (qv). In
1878 Trinity House substituted guncotton for the guns and in
1881 it was even considered that the lower light of the Old
Lighthouse should be moved to the Battery. Bells, hooters and
whistles were also experimented with but The Old Lighthouse
and Battery were eventually abandoned in 1897 when the North
and South Lundy Lighthouses (qv) were built. (Lighthouses,
their Architecture, History and Archaeology:D.B. Hague and R.
Christie; LUNDY:A and M Langham).
Listing NGR: SS1279944896
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings