This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1725 / 51°10'21"N
Longitude: -4.6797 / 4°40'46"W
OS Eastings: 212772
OS Northings: 144892
OS Grid: SS127448
Mapcode National: GBR GTTL.96H
Mapcode Global: VH2S3.TSXH
Entry Name: Magazine and Privies About 15 Metres North East of Fog Signal Battery
Listing Date: 7 October 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1326648
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91988
Location: Torridge, Devon, EX39
Electoral Ward/Division: Clovelly Bay
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Lundy
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS14SW BATTERY POINT
1938-0/2/11 Magazine and Privies about 15 metres
North East of Fog Signal Battery
Magazine and attached privies serving fog signal battery.
Circa 1861 for Trinity House. Dressed granite. Gabled roof,
the privies now roofless, the magazine has barrel vaulted
brick roof clad in slate. Overall rectangular plan. 2
attached privies on right (east) with wider (approx. square)
integral magazine on left (west).
Exterior: 1 storey. 2 symmetrical gables at front (south)
facing path down to Battery (qv). Under the right hand gable
2 privy doors, under the left hand gable a doorway to the
magazine, all with granite lintels. The building is set on a
bettered stone plinth on the cliff edge, its back facing the
Interior: The W.C.s have been removed from the privies. The
magazine is brick-lined, has a brick barrel-vaulted roof and
a ventilation hole in the rear gable.
Note: The Old Lighthouse (qv) is situated at 470 feet above
sea level and was often obscured by fog. In an attempt to
solve the problem a fog signal battery (qv) was built in
circa 1861 on cliffs below. The installation included
cottages for the gunners (Battery Cottages qv) and this
magazine and privies. In 1878 Trinity House substituted
guncotton rockets for the guns and in 1881 it was even
considered that the lower light of the Old Lighthouse should
be moved to the Battery. Bells, hooters and whistles were
also experimented with but The Old Lighthouse and Battery
were eventually abandoned in 1897 when the North and South
Lundy Lighthouses (qv) were built. (Lighthouses, their
Architecture, History and Archaeology:D.B. Hague and R.
Christie; LUNDY:A and M. Langham).
Listing NGR: SS1277244892
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings