This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.623 / 50°37'22"N
Longitude: -4.6785 / 4°40'42"W
OS Eastings: 210632
OS Northings: 83791
OS Grid: SX106837
Mapcode National: GBR N4.B41M
Mapcode Global: FRA 172F.C3T
Plus Code: 9C2QJ8FC+6H
Entry Name: The Masons Arms
Listing Date: 13 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327697
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68516
Location: Camelford, Cornwall, PL32
Civil Parish: Camelford
Built-Up Area: Camelford
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanteglos by Camelford
Church of England Diocese: Truro
CAMELFORD MARKET PLACE, Camelford
SX 1083 - 1183
8/74 No. 11, The Masons Arms
Coaching Inn, now public house. Circa late C16 or early C17, extended in C18 and in
late C18 or early C19. Stone rubble, rendered and painted. Slate roof with gable
ends; bitumen coated rag slate roof to main range on right, and to lower central
range; rag slate roof to carriage house on left. Brick axial stack between carriage
house and central range, stone rubble rear lateral stack to central range, projecting
stone rubble axial, originally gable end stack on left of higher range on right and
rear lateral stone rubble stack rear of right hand room with circa early C18 brick
Plan: Possibly originally a house with a 2 room and through passage plan, the left
hand room heated by an end stack and the right hand room by a rear lateral stack. In
circa mid C18 a stair projection was added to the rear of the passage maintaining the
through passage with access to the stair on the left and in circa late C18 an outshot
was added across the rear. In circa mid C18 a range of 2 room plan with central
entrance was added on the left hand gable end of the earlier range; the left hand
room heated by a rear lateral stack. In circa late C18 a coach house and stables
were added on the left hand gable end of the circa mid C18 ranger
Right hand circa C17 range of 3 storeys with a regular 3-window front, the right hand
side set slightly forward. Ground floor: 4-pane sash to left, C18 2-panel door set
back, tripartite sash and C19 12-pane sash to right. First floor has two 6-pane
sashes with 4-pane sash between and second floor has two 2-light casements. The
lower central range is of 2 storeys with an almost symmetrical 3-window front. C20
bay window on left, door set back and 4-pane sash to right. First floor has two 4-
pane sashes with a blind window in the centre. The 2 storey coach house to left has
2 wide segmental arched openings with plank doors on ground floor and 2 shuttered
openings above. Chamfered left hand corner.
Interior : Circa C17 range has a C20 fireplace heated by a rear lateral stack on
right and a circa late C16/early C17 fireplace on left with granite lintel and jambs
decorated with a roll moulding and triangular motif with ball finial to lintel;
party buried probably diabolo stops to jambs because the floor has been raised.
Partitions removed on ground floor and circa C18 stair to rear with square newels,
square stick balusters and a deep handrail. The roof structure was replaced in the
C18; the principals are partly halved, lapped and pegged at the apices. Centre range
has a C20 fireplace heated by a rear lateral stack.
Granite hitching posts in garden to rear.
The Mason's Arms, formerly the Lower King's Arms, was referred to in November 1753 as
'that ancient, commodius and well-accustomed inn known by the sign of the King's
Arms, situate on the great post road from London to Falmouth'. In 1783 the name was
changed to The Bedford Inn.
Douch, H.L. Old Cornish Inns
Listing NGR: SX1063283791
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings