History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Camelford Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Camelford, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6228 / 50°37'21"N

Longitude: -4.6788 / 4°40'43"W

OS Eastings: 210611

OS Northings: 83763

OS Grid: SX106837

Mapcode National: GBR N4.B3Z7

Mapcode Global: FRA 172F.C0N

Entry Name: Camelford Methodist Church

Listing Date: 13 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1138307

English Heritage Legacy ID: 68517

Location: Camelford, Cornwall, PL32

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Camelford

Built-Up Area: Camelford

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Lanteglos by Camelford

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Camelford

Listing Text

CAMELFORD MARKET PLACE, Camelford
SX 1083 -1183
8/75 Camelford Methodist Church
-
GV II

Methodist chapel. 1837 interior remodelled in 1980s. Stone rubble with granite
dressings. Slate roof with hipped ends and gable end to front, to right of centre.
Plan: deep rectangular plan. Original chapel possibly comprised main range near
centre which is set slightly forward and has a gable end to the road. Probably
extended to right with small room over alleyway and to left to accommodate Sunday
School.
Exterior : Front elevation with gable end of possible earlier range to right of
centre; stone rubble ramp with iron railings up to entrance in gable end with C20
plank double doors in partly blocked 2-centred arched opening and wrought-iron grates
to basement windows on right and left. 2 tall 2-light lancet windows above with
intersecting glazing bars and niche in gable end. To left, blocked door and two 2-
light rectangular openings with tall rectangular window and 2-light lancet window
above. To right, segmental rusticated granite arch to alley with 2-light window
above.
Interior remodelled in 1980s.
The chapel when opened in 1837 was described by the West Briton as 'a neat building
and an ornament to the town'.
Shaw, Thomas Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit 1743-1963, 1963.
Stell, C RCHM unpublished inventory of non-conformist.


Listing NGR: SX1061183763

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.