This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6225 / 50°37'21"N
Longitude: -4.6793 / 4°40'45"W
OS Eastings: 210574
OS Northings: 83738
OS Grid: SX105837
Mapcode National: GBR N4.B3W1
Mapcode Global: FRA 172F.BTZ
Entry Name: Library
Listing Date: 19 January 1952
Last Amended: 13 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1138348
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68519
Location: Camelford, Cornwall, PL32
Civil Parish: Camelford
Built-Up Area: Camelford
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanteglos by Camelford
Church of England Diocese: Truro
CAMELFORD MARKET PLACE, Camelford
SX 1083 - 1183
8/76 (1/3) Library (previously listed as Town
Townhall erected over market house, now library, exhibition hall and meeting room.
1806. Financed by John, 6th Duke of Bedford. Slate stone rubble with dressed quoins
and dressed stone arches to window openings. Rag slate roof with hipped ends.
Rectangular plan with internal partitions altered. Originally the market house on
the ground floor with a central entrance on the front and the town hall above with a
staircase to a doorway at the rear where the ground is at a higher level. Ground
rises to left and to rear.
2 storeys. Symmetrical 3 window front faces onto Market Place; 5 semi-circular
headed windows; the window frames replaced in circa mid C20, the central window in an
earlier blocked door opening. First floor has 3 semi-circular windows with horned
sashes with intersecting glazing bars. Lower side on right has a C20 glazed door
with a Venetian window above, the central horned sash with intersecting glazing bars.
The higher side on the left has a C20 door on the ground floor and a Venetian window
above with stained glass window with Camelford arms. The wall above has been partly
rebuilt. The rear elevation has 4 blocked round headed openings on the ground floor
and a central double flight of steps which lead up to the first floor entrance with a
C19 timber porch with flat roof and moulded cornice. 2 sash windows with round
headed arches and intersecting glazing bars to right and left.
Timber cupola on roof with clock and weather vane. This cupola originally had 2
bells dated 1807 and 1699.
Interior : remodelled in circa mid C20. Bell from cupola in entrance inscribed 'W.
Prideaux Mayor, 1699'.
The Charter of Camelford was confirmed in 1259 and the rotten borough was created in
1552 to bolster the Earl of Northumberland's government. The rotten borough was
abolished in 1831.
Kelly's Directory, 1910.
Polsue, J. Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1872 Volume I.
Listing NGR: SX1057483738
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings