This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6847 / 50°41'5"N
Longitude: -4.6913 / 4°41'28"W
OS Eastings: 209979
OS Northings: 90688
OS Grid: SX099906
Mapcode National: GBR N4.66S4
Mapcode Global: FRA 1728.D5S
Entry Name: Kiddlywink linhay
Listing Date: 17 December 1962
Last Amended: 20 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327708
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68700
Location: Forrabury and Minster, Cornwall, PL35
Civil Parish: Forrabury and Minster
Built-Up Area: Boscastle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Forrabury
Church of England Diocese: Truro
FORRABURY AND FORE STREET (east side), Boscastle
SW 0990 MINSTER
7/37 Linhay and Kiddlywink (previously
listed as part of Hillside)
2 houses. Circa late C16, extended in early C17. Painted and rendered slate stone
rubble. Rag slate roof with gable ends. Lower front wing on left with partly
bitumen coated rag slate roof with gable end. Gable end to wing on front right with
slate roof. Several early crested ridge tiles. Stone rubble side lateral stack
heating front wing on right.
Original plan uncertain; possibly originally two 1-room cottages divided by central
alley, or 1 house of 2-room plan with wide central through passage or alternatively
part of a much larger house which also incorporated the adjoining house to the right
(qv No. 4 Fore Street). In circa C19 the building was known as the Old Boscastle
Inn. In circa mid to late C20 it was converted into 2 houses with Linhay on left and
Kiddlywink on right. Although there is no stack or fireplace the left hand room
(Linhay) may have been heated by an end stack as there is possible evidence of
disturbance in the masonry in the gable end. In circa early C17 an unheated wing of
1-room plan was added to the front of the left hand room and a wing of 1-room plan,
heated by a side lateral stack was added to the front of the right hand room
(Kiddlywink). In circa C18 a single storey wing was added to the rear of Linhay on
the right. This wing was probably remodelled, extended and re-roofed in the mid C19.
During the C19 and early C20, when the building was used as a public house, the
central through passage was used as a skittle alley.
2 storeys, asymmetrical 2 window front with central entrance flanked by 2 projecting
2-storeyed wings to right and left. Linhay on the left has a C20 2-light casement
with glazing bars on the ground and first floor and a small window below the eaves on
the right and left hand side elevations. Kiddlywink on the right has an early C19
hornless 16-pane sash on the ground floor and an early C19 hornless 12-pane sash on
the first floor.
Interior Linhay on left has a side entrance from the central through passage,
leading directly into the earlier central room. This room has circa C18 ceiling
beams with bowtell mouldings, slate flag floor and large granite salting trough. The
entrance through to the rear room has a low chamfered timber 2-centred arch which
appears early although is probably undateable. The rear single storey wing has a C19
roof structure and a cloam oven in the rear wall. The roof structure to the main
range was inaccessible with the feet of the principals above the earlier room boxed
in and the feet of principals above the front wing slightly chamfered.
Interior of Kiddlywink inaccessible at time of survey.
A description of Linhay in the 1930s is given by Rev Armstrong.
Armstrong, Rev W J C A Rambler's Guide to Boscastle together with St Juliot,
Lesnewth, Trevalga circa 1930
Listing NGR: SX0997990688
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings